Patient Accounts and Financial Responsibility
The information and resources that follow provide comprehensive information on medical billing and prices of healthcare services available at Health Service Evanston. Find out your eligibility to use healthcare services on the Who Can Use NUHS page.
Fees for Healthcare Services
When using the Health Service - Evanston, there will be fees for certain healthcare services including laboratory tests, prescriptions, X-Ray procedures, immunizations, medical equipment/supplies, and a variety of other medical procedures and services. There is no charge for an office visit with a Health Service healthcare provider for students who are currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program; however, there is a $20 co-pay for any office visit by a Visiting Scholar. You may request information on the fees of any services or items from your healthcare provider at the time of your visit or the Patient Accounts Coordinator by calling 847.491.2363. All prices are subject to change without notice.
Please note none of these prices are applicable to Chicago Campus students using the Health Service Chicago as operated by Northwestern Medicine (NM) and fee for service inquiries should be directed to NM. Chicago Campus students may consider the option to access Health Service Evanston for their healthcare needs.
Below are resources to help you understand prices of outpatient services available at Health Service Evanston and do not reflect any coverage by health insurance that you may have to help cover costs:
- Vaccines. This list provides the current pricing of all the vaccines the Health Service. There is additional information on the Immunizations page.
- Lab Tests. This is a list of prices of the top 25 diagnostic lab tests available from the Health Service Laboratory.
- Pharmacy. For prescription costs, most patients have a prescription plan associated with their health insurance that determines the co-pay and final cost of any prescription you may choose to fill at the Health Service Pharmacy. Check out the Pharmacy page to learn learn more about services and contact the Pharmacy to request the cost of any specific medications you have been prescribed. Additionally, the Pharmacy offers a limited inventory of non-prescription, OTC (Over-The-Counter) products for your convenience.
- Radiology. Health Service Radiology offers general diagnostic X-ray procedures as ordered by a healthcare provider on staff at the Health Service. There is a flat charge of $126 for each X-ray procedure which includes the radiologist report to interpret the results.
- Clinic Fees. There are a variety of charges to numerous to list (e.g. medical supplies, orthopedic splints and braces). There is also a missed appointment fee if a patient fails to follow the policy and procedure when canceling an appointment.
Payment for services provided at Health Service - Evanston is made at Patient Accounts, room 1.103, which is located just behind the front reception desk on the first floor. A detailed statement of services related to your patient visit may be requested from Patient Accounts when you checkout at the conclusion of your patient visit. You may submit this documentation to your health insurance carrier to be reimbursed consistent with the terms of coverage for your health insurance. Students with coverage under the NU sponsored plan with Aetna Student Health will have their charges submitted directly. If you have questions concerning health insurance, you may wish to connect with the Student Health Insurance staff via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 847.491.3621 during regular business hours.
Health Insurance Claims
The Health Service does not accept assignment and cannot submit insurance claims electronically to your health insurance carrier for those students who do not have coverage under the NU sponsored health insurance plan with Aetna Student Health. Any unpaid charges will be posted to your general tuition account at Student Financial Services. The patient assumes full responsibility for the full payment of any medical expenses related to services provided by the Health Service.
If you have the Northwestern sponsored Aetna Student Health insurance plan, you are responsible for the full payment of any medical expenses incurred without prior authorization and approval. The Student Health Insurance Office can provide guidance and assistance with the filing of health insurance claims. If you have any health insurance questions, please call 847.491.3621 or email email@example.com.
Contact Patient Accounts
You may contact Patient Accounts at 847.491.2363 during regular business hours of 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday or email Lisa Edwards (Patient Accounts Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about fees for healthcare services provided by Health Service Evanston. Students experiencing financial hardship may also connect with Patient Support Services by email to email@example.com to discuss any need for financial assistance or other issues of navigating healthcare resources.