COVID-19 Care Changes
Our Changes Inside 633 Emerson Street
The Health Service has a new look, so be prepared to follow the signs and procedures as you enter.
- Masks are always required while inside the building.
- Sanitize your hands upon arrival and wash them when you can.
- All students are required to be screened or show their symptom tracker at the front desk upon arrival
- Access Symptom Tracker
- Download NU Symptom Tracker for iOS from the App Store
- Download NU Symptom Tracker for Android the Google Play Store
- Plexi glass has been added to all public facing service desks within the building
- More sanitizer and mask stations have been added throughout the building
- Try to limit what you touch
- Televisits have been implemented to continue to provide easy access to NUHS providers.
- Both in-person and televisit are available to schedule at the Personal Health Portal or by calling 847.491.2204.
- Information on NUHS Hours
Our hours have been adjusted slightly, and much of the care is arranged in advance during a planning televisit. Sometimes the televisit care can fully replace the need for actual in building care. Other times, the advance televisit arranges preparation for an in-building visit that enhances safety and reduces time inside our facility. It is likely that you will enjoy the advantages of our televisit platform.
Our Pharmacy hours have adjusted slightly, but our staff will work with you to arrange continuity and safety during the pandemic.
The NUHS providers rotate in several internal care clinics. All of them share assignment to our routine in-house clinic, our in-house respiratory care clinic and our televisit clinic. This allows for maximal safety for our patients and staff, since potential exposure to COVID-19 is reduced to the barest needed to provide service.
The televisit is secure, confidential, and offers the advantage of expanded time and patient convenience. It also adds safety should you need to visit in person after the televisit plans for your arrival.
All care starts with a phone call to 847.491.2204. Our staff will take things from there.
Effective August 6, 2020, below are the current parameters on testing for COVID:
We will continue to test:
- Symptomatic students who are concerned for COVID. You may schedule an appointment in the ILI clinic through the Personal Health Portal or schedule a COVID test at the Searle Tent (located at 633 Emerson Street) using the MyNM (symptomatic only).
- Asymptomatic students who had a known positive exposure or endorsed a positive on the COVID screening questions. This is done at the Searle Tent (located at 633 Emerson Street) and you may schedule an appointment through MyNM.
- We are not able to provide COVID testing for certain situations such as students who need a Fit to Fly certificate from their embassy to return home.
- Students who are visiting a family member, friend, etc. and would like to be tested.
- Students traveling for vacation and would like to be tested before they go.
- Surveillance testing
- New arrived students
- If you are traveling or visiting family, we recommend quarantine before you leave and after you return from your trip to reduce your risk.
- Asymptomatic students may schedule a COVID test at the Jacobs Center.
- If you are a student arriving to campus, we recommend following Chicago quarantine guidelines.
Submitting Results of External Tests
You may use the Submit External Test Results form for the submission of any COVID test results or other lab tests that were performed external to Northwestern. This enables the Health Service to include these test results in your electronic health record and contributes to your compliance with the University-wide COVID testing program.
COVID-19 Post Testing
Learn more about COVID-19 test results and the post testing message.