All undergraduate non-credit travelers must complete the following health and safety pre-departure requirements at least two weeks before departure:
- Complete the online Canvas course “Before You Travel: Health & Safety Requirements.” This course takes about 30 minutes and should be viewed at least 6 weeks before departure. If you plan to travel within the next 6 weeks and you're not enrolled in this Canvas course, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obtain Northwestern's GeoBlue international insurance plan. If you would like to learn more about the insurance, visit our webpage on GeoBlue Insurance. Once your travel plans are finalized including destination(s) and travel dates, visit Northwestern's GeoBlue enrollment page to purchase your insurance. (Students traveling with a Northwestern-sponsored group, led by a faculty or staff member, should check with their trip leader to determine if insurance is being purchased on their behalf). After enrolling, you will receive an e-mail confirmation which includes your insurance certificate number. Print this confirmation and take it on your trip.
- Go to the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories and search for your destination country under "Search for Travel Advisories". Pay close attention to any prohibited regions or cities (e.g. "do not travel to "or " reconsider travel to" language). You are not permitted to travel to these areas unless you have been granted permission by Northwestern. Next, eenroll your trip in the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Go to the U.S. DOS STEP enrollment website
- Create an account, or sign in if you already have an account
- Note: many fields in the enrollment forms are optional. If you do not have a U.S. passport, leave the passport field blank.
- Once you have created an account, select "Add a Trip/Residence Abroad" and provide the information about your travel.
- When you see confirmation that you have enrolled your trip, take a screenshot to upload to the International Travel Registry:
4. Register your trip in Northwestern’s International Travel Registry so that the Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS) has information about your trip and can reach out in case there is a health or safety emergency. Complete the travel registry no later than two weeks before departure. To register, follow Travel registry instructions.
You will receive an email confirmation when you have completed the travel registry. Forward this message to your advisor, program contact, trip leader or sponsoring unit. If you have applied for funding from a Northwestern unit, this confirmation is required for funding to be released.