Expectations for Visitors to Campus
Visitors to University buildings must have an academic, research, administrative, or other mission-critical purpose associated with the mission of the University. Visitors must be pre-approved, and the visitor and the “host” who invited the visitor must comply with the Visitors Requirements.
Please note: We are currently reevaluating the visitor policy and associated workflows and protocols. For now, we ask that schools, units, and departments limit outside visitors where possible, focusing only on those who have an essential need to be on-campus in support of core operations, research, or education. Visitors can use the SymptomTracker visitor functionality, and schools and units should have a general understanding of what visitors are on-campus related to their needs. We expect to update the visitor policy in early February.
- A visitor is any individual who is not a currently enrolled student in good standing or active employee for the University.
- Research participants, patients University clinics, spectators at ticketed events and some other visitor types are not included in this definition (see the Visitor Requirements for details).
- All visitors must complete a Visitor Request Form and attest to their health status before arriving on campus. Applicants will receive an email notification with the approval or denial of the request.
- All visitors must adhere to Northwestern’s general health and hygiene requirements.
- Contractors and vendors/service provider organizations have additional requirements such as having their own COVID-19 risk mitigation policies and procedures and, for those that have not established policies and procedures that include training, employees must complete the University’s mandatory training.
- Additional details on the registration process, requirements, definitions of visitors, and more can be found in the Visitors Requirements.
- University “hosts” who invite visitors to campus should consider whether in-person, on-campus interaction is necessary and should use remote and virtual options whenever possible.