Expectations for Contractors on Campus
Governor Pritzker issued Executive Order 2021-20 (covid-19 executive order no. 87) on August 26 that requires all Higher Education Personnel to be vaccinated or test weekly. This includes any person who is contracted to provide services. Northwestern requires all employees, including contractors, to be vaccinated with exceptions only for documented medical conditions and sincerely held religious beliefs. Those with a documented exception must test weekly. In short, the executive order requires the following:
‘All Higher Education Personnel and Higher Education Students must have, at a minimum, the first dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine within 10 days after issuance of this Executive Order, and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within 30 days following administration of their first dose in a two-dose vaccination series. Beginning 10 days after issuance of this Executive Order, to enter or work at or for an Institution of Higher Education, Higher Education Personnel and Higher Education Students who have not been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 must undergo testing for COVID-19.’
Vendors that only make deliveries to campus or are not on campus at least once a week on a regular basis are exempt from the requirement.
The above executive order has since been updated, the first shot is due by September 19 and final vaccination is due by October 19.
Please note that Procurement and Payment Services is coordinating with the following vendors that have large contracts which include embedded staff on campus to assess their compliance with the executive order.
- Barnes and Noble (bookstore)
- US Bank (bank branch - Norris)
- Fisher Scientific (lab supply stockrooms)
- Quartet (duplicating services downtown)
- Reebie Storage & Moving (on campus moving services)
- Aramark (custodial services)
- Otis Elevator Company (elevator maintenance)
- Smithereen (pest control)
- Urban Elevator Service (elevator maintenance)
- CMI (food service equipment repairs)
- Compass (food service)
- Via (safe ride services)
- ABM Parking Services (parking ramp management)
- Allied Universal (security guards)
- WeDriveU (shuttle service)
- Heritage Environmental (hazardous materials disposal)
- Canon (mail services - downtown)
- Luna Security (guest services)
If there are other vendors you utilize that are not listed above, you will need to reach out to them and obtain the following:
- How will you ensure and certify compliance with the Governor’s Executive Order that all employees on campus be vaccinated?
- How will you manage and approve exceptions to the vaccination requirement? The University permits exceptions only for documents medical conditions and sincerely held religious beliefs.
- How will you ensure and certify compliance with weekly testing requirements for those employees that are granted an exception? Northwestern testing is available to non-vaccinated contractors with an exception; vendors are responsible for tracking compliance and can do so through use of the Symptom Tracker app
A written response to the above questions is due no later than Friday, September 24, 2021. A final report of the vaccination status in terms of total number of staff, total number vaccinated, total number with an approved exception is due by October 22.
Below is a template email you can use to communicate with any vendors that you need to reach out to.