Undergraduate Room, Board and Fees
1. Will Northwestern refund my room and board costs?
Yes, we have issued credits for all Spring Quarter housing and dining costs for any student who left campus housing by the end of spring break (on or before Sunday, April 5). This credit is reflected on the April 10 bill. With the credit applied, you can request a refund from your student account by check or direct deposit. Instructions for requesting refunds from your student account can be found on the Student Enterprise Systems website.
2. What if I decide to leave campus partway through Spring Quarter?
Students who remain in campus housing, but who move out some time during Spring Quarter, will receive a pro-rated refund of housing and dining upon leaving campus.
3. Will I get a refund on student fees?
Undergraduates will all receive a refund on the athletic fee for the quarter ($19). The other fees will remain in place, as Associated Student Government continues to provide programming and activities and because the Health Service continues to be available for students’ use.
4. How and when will I receive my refund for housing, dining and fees?
5. Will getting a room and board refund impact my financial aid?
There will be no reductions to undergraduate financial aid if a student receives refunds. Students who were offered financial aid to cover housing, dining or other needs during the spring quarter can instead apply their refunds towards potential expenses associated with living with family or other arrangements.
Given the circumstances, Northwestern also waived late fees on student bills that were due April 1. No fees will be charged if payments were made in full by April 30.
6. If I remain on campus, by when would I need to move out to qualify for the room and board refund announced on March 26?
As noted in the announcement of refunds, students should have moved out of their rooms and checked out by Sunday, April 5. Those that have moved out but have belongings left in their room should visit the Student Housing Information FAQs for detailed information on how to proceed.
Students who remain in campus housing but who move out later will receive a pro-rated credit. Students or families with questions about extension requests should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that Residential Services will not grant exceptions that would violate any State of Illinois orders pertaining to non-essential travel or activity during its COVID-19 response. (Updated 4/20/20)
7. If I have left campus but did not move my personal belongings out of my room, can I still qualify for the room and board refund announced on March 26?
Yes, students who left campus and checked out on or before Sunday, April 5 will receive the refund. Visit the Student Housing Information FAQs for information on how to retrieve your belongings. All personal belongings must be removed by Friday, June 12. (Updated 4/20/20)
8. Will spring quarter social dues in residence halls and residential colleges be charged?
Residents remaining on campus will not be charged social dues during the remote instruction period. (Updated 4/6/20)
9. Does acceptance of the room and board refund affect my fulfillment of the two-year residency requirement?
Spring quarter 2020 will count toward the two-year residency requirement regardless of your acceptance of the refund or presence on campus. (Added 3/29/20)
Undergraduate and Graduate Tuition and Finances
1. Will there be a tuition refund or discount?
Northwestern will continue to provide a high-quality education, whether remotely or in person, so tuition will still be charged at the same rate for Spring Quarter and for Summer. (Updated 4/30/20)
2. Will I be getting the same education if this is done remotely?
Additional resources have been devoted to providing faculty with training, equipment and software to ensure the smoothest transition possible. Faculty have risen to the challenge and are attending to their teaching in this new mode with a commitment to creating the right balance of rigor and engagement for the best student learning experience they can provide.
3. When will my tuition payments be due?
Spring Quarter's tuition deadline was extended to April 30. Information on billing for future terms, including payment due dates, may be found on the Student Finance website. (Updated 4/30/20)