Northwestern is pleased to be able to offer COVID-19 rapid antigen testing for campus visitors. Visitors may include prospective students, Northwestern event attendees, and family or friends visiting campus. Abbott’s BinaxNOW rapid antigen test is a quick nasal swab that provides a nearly immediate result. While visitor testing is not required, it is a great option for visitors who are looking for an additional sense of security while spending time on campus.
Please note that visitors are still expected to adhere to visitor expectations and follow the University’s COVID-19 health and safety guidelines.
Locations and Times
Rapid testing is available at:
- Jacobs Center (2001 Sheridan Road) in Evanston, using the south entrance adjacent to Deering Meadow.
- 345 E. Superior Street in Chicago
No appointments are needed for rapid testing. Rapid antigen testing at both sites is available Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm.
Next Steps for Testing
The information below outlines the steps you will need to take before coming to take your rapid test and what to expect afterwards. For more information, see our Rapid Testing webpage.
If you have questions, please contact NU-COVID-Testing-Support@northwestern.edu.
- Please download the NAVICA app at App Store or Google Play. If your phone does not support the NAVICA app or if you are experiencing technical difficulties, you can use the NAVICA website as an alternative way to access your account.
- Create a NAVICA account and set up your profile.
- When you arrive onsite, please inform a staff member that you are a visitor.
- The staff member will direct you to the Technical Support Center where you will fill out a consent form and complete the final steps to connect your account to Northwestern.
Testing: What to Expect
The rapid antigen test is a simple nasal swab and should take you less than twenty minutes to complete onsite.
What to bring: A device to login to your NAVICA account (remember your NAVICA password so you can login) and a physical photo ID
- Results will be available within 30 minutes of completing your test.
- You will receive a notification on your phone informing you that your NAVICA results are ready.
- Login to your NAVICA account to view your results.
- If you are using the NAVICA website, your results will be available under “Your Name’s Latest Test Result.”
If your results are negative, you will see a green NAVICA pass on the “Pass” tab. If your results are positive, please return home and self-isolate immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I bring to my test?
A device to login to your NAVICA account (remember your NAVICA password so you can login!) and a physical photo ID.
How will I receive my results?
You will receive a notification on your phone within 30 minutes of taking your test informing you that your NAVICA results are ready. Login to your NAVICA app to review your results. If you are using the NAVICA website, log into your account 30 minutes after taking your test and results will be available under “Your Name’s Latest Test Result.”
What should I do if I receive a positive result?
Please return home and self-isolate immediately.
What should I do if I receive an invalid result?
While an invalid result is not indicative of either a positive or negative result, it does not provide you with a definitive result. We ask that you come in to re-test at your earliest convenience.
What should I do if I don’t have a smart device?
Email email@example.com telling them that you don’t have a smart device and we will walk you through next steps to navigate testing.
What should I do if I am having issues downloading my NAVICA app or creating an account?
Please inform a staff member upon arrival at the testing center so that we can quickly work through these issues onsite.
I notice an at-home option in the NAVICA app. Do I have access to this?
At-home testing is offered by Abbott independently through eMed. If you chose to purchase these tests you do so at your own cost. No costs will be reimbursed by Northwestern.