Face Coverings and Face masks
When used properly, face coverings and face masks can reduce transmission of the virus. In accordance with CDC guidelines and state and local orders, Northwestern requires that community members wear masks in all public and shared environments on campus, and in alignment with other guidance about the use of masks on campus. The latter includes when in densely populated offices and classrooms, common areas, restrooms, elevators, or University-provided group/mass transit.
Please follow appropriate safety guidelines in laboratories with hazardous materials. All community members will receive a set of reusable face coverings with instructions on how to wear and care for them. All face coverings should be routinely washed in a washing machine, depending on the frequency of use.
Cloth face coverings are not respirators or disposable face masks and do not protect you from exposure and are only intended to help contain your respiratory droplets from being spread to other people.
Putting On Your Face Covering Properly
- Wash your hands.
- Inspect the face covering.
- Place the loops over your ears.
- Ensure the face covering is worn properly.
Removing Your Face Covering Properly
- Grab the loops and pull it away from your face. Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth while removing the face covering.
- Dispose of the face covering after using it. If you have a face cloth covering, carefully put it in a plastic bag after use and take it home to wash it.
- Wash your hands after touching the face covering.