Evanston Township High School
Since 2012, an office at Evanston Township High School (ETHS) funded by Northwestern has formalized and strengthened the relationship between the University and the high school. The primary role of the office is to effectively connect the resources of both institutions to enhance the educational experience and academic outcomes of students at both Northwestern and Evanston Township High School. It is part of Northwestern’s Good Neighbor, Great University initiative, and an integral component of Neighborhood and Community Relations' work in impacting the educational outcomes of Evanston youth.
To date, the office supports the operation of nearly 100 partnerships and collaborative ventures. The wide array of work includes academics, athletics, health and wellness, college access and preparation, career education, cultural events, mentorship, the arts, and community engagement.
Two staff members, Kristen Perkins and Jenny Grist, have offices at ETHS and serve as points-of-contact for students, staff, and faculty at the high school who are interested in connecting with Northwestern.
Kristen Perkins (email@example.com), of Northwestern’s Office of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Education Partnerships, serv es as partnership coordinator. She works to increase collaboration between Northwestern and the high school and enhance ETHS learning opportunities. Ms. Perkins was the 2007 Teacher-in-Residence at Roberto Clemente High School in Chicago. She has published and presented with the International Conference on Learning Sciences (ICLS), the National Association of Science Teachers (NSTA), and the National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST). Perkins graduated from Purdue University in 2003 with a Bachelor of Science in Biology Education.
- Northwestern, Local Schools Safely Remove Chemical Products (Northwestern News, January 2017)
- Evanston/Skokie Schools Collaborate with NU's Science in Society Center (Evanston Round Table, November 2016)
- Northwestern's Partnership with ETHS Continues to Enhance Learning and Mentoring Experiences (Evanston Township High School, January 2016)
- ETHS Community Partners Recognized for Contributions to Classroom Learning (Evanston Township High School, August 2016)
- Women in STEM Club Has Impact at ETHS (Northwestern News, December 2015)
- Young Scientists Pilot STEAM Program (Evanston Round Table, August 2016)