Northwestern offers faculty and staff discounted rates through National Car Rental and Enterprise Rent-A-Car for business and personal use. Eligibility requirements are listed below.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Effective August 1, 2018, personal use car rentals with National and Enterprise will no longer include damage waiver coverage or third party liability coverage for rentals in the US.
Book a Car with National or Enterprise
Please visit the National and Enterprise Car Rentals page for information on how to take advantage of Northwestern's discounted rates, insurance benefits, and how to join the Emerald Club, National's frequent customer program.
Eligibility Requirements for Northwestern Discounts:
Eligible Renters for Business Use (physical damage and 3rd party liability included within rate)
- Faculty, staff, and visiting scholars are eligible for the Northwestern discount for business.
- Consultants and contractors whose expenses are reimbursed or otherwise paid by Northwestern are eligible for the Northwestern discount.
- Students 18 and older are eligible for the Northwestern discount ONLY when travel is paid for by Northwestern. Students must provide a letter on official Northwestern stationery signed by the student's supervisor stating that the purpose of the rental is business-related.
- Students 18 and older may be eligible for the Northwestern discount when travel is business-related and paid for by Northwestern. Note: undergraduate students must go through additional screening and fulfill additional requirements to rent commercial vehicles. Please see Risk Management's Approved Drivers and Safe Driver Program page for more information.
Eligible Renters for Non-Business Use (no physical damage and 3rd party liability included in rate)
- Faculty and staff
- Immediate family members of faculty, staff living in the same household
- Students 21 and older
- Alumni organizations
- Student organizations or clubs
- Intramural sports organizations or clubs
All renters seeking these discounted rates may be asked to show a valid Wildcard
Other Car Rental Options
Northwestern travelers are encouraged to book rental cars through National and Enterprise whenever possible. Northwestern's three contracted Travel Agencies may also offer discounted rates through other rental car companies. Note: these rates may not have the same insurance/accident benefits as Northwestern does through National and Enterprise.
Zipcar and Enterprise CarShare (formerly IGO) car sharing services provide the convenience, affordability, and reliability of transportation without owning a car. Learn more on Transportation & Parking's Commuter Options page.
Car Rental Insurance and Policies
For more information on car rental insurance and accidents involving a rental car, please visit Office of Risk Management's Automobile Insurance page. Note: documents, including proof of insurance, are typically found in the glove compartment of cars, but please confirm with rental company employees before leaving the location.
For information on rental car policies see the Transportation section, item (d) Commercial Rental Vehicles (page 15), in Northwestern's Travel, Entertainment & Courtesy policy.