Students Already Registered

After registering with AccessibleNU, which means you have already completed these 3 steps,

  1. submitted our online application for services

  2. provided verification of your condition that fulfills our documentation criteria, and

  3. completed an intake appointment with an AccessibleNU staff member during which you signed an accommodation agreement

There are still certain items you'll need to do each quarter.

Request Accommodations Each Quarter You Require Them

Every quarter that you will be requesting accommodations, you will need to log onto AccessibleNU's database to request notifications. Please log on and request accommodation notifications for your professor no later than the second week of classes. If you request letters prior to the beginning of the quarter starting, AccessibleNU will arrange for your notifications to be emailed up to a week before classes start.

You will generally not need to submit additional documentation unless your condition changes, which is more likely to be the case if you have a psychological or health-related disability, or unless you are requesting additional or different accommodations.

Audio Books and E-Text

If you have been approved for the accommodation of recorded textbooks or e-text, please identify what books will be required in your classes and give AccessibleNU as much notice as possible that you need these books. This means it's a good idea to:

  1. Contact professors in advance of the course starting to identify required texts

  2. Use our alternate text request form to notify us regarding which books we need to procure

  3. Bring in any books not otherwise available so that we can convert them to e-text. This will mean we have to chop the spine off, scan it, then rebind it. If this is required, our alternate media coordinator will let you know.

  4. Please review our alternative text requests page for more information and guidelines.

Academic & Well-Being Support Services Are Available All Over Campus

If you experience difficulties at Northwestern, your initial thought may be that additional or revised accommodations are needed. However, we recommend that you first pursue academic support through your course or department and/or one or more of the academic support or health and well-being resources listed on NUHelp, such as academic programs available through the Searle Center. Many students also find Counseling and Psychological Services' workshops helpful. In addition, you may benefit from developing individualized learning strategies, working with a coach, or having guided instruction in time-management, organization, or self-advocacy skills. For these final supports, we encourage you to set up an appointment with an AccessibleNU advisor, who can determine eligibility and meet with you. Current AccessibleNU students and alumni who have utilized one or more of these resources and supports have shared that it made their transition to Northwestern a much smoother one.

Revisions of Accommodation Agreements Are Sometimes Necessary

If you think that you may need to revise your accommodation agreement, please make an appointment with the AccessibleNU staff member with whom you originally met in order to determine what modifications may be reasonable and what related additional testing or documentation may be required. You should allow one business week for review of new documentation.