Program sponsor: Sweet Briar College
View of the Musee de Orsay, Paris, France
Combine a small number of French-taught program courses with an extensive variety of courses at a number of French universities, including the three Paris Universities of the Sorbonne. In the fall, the program begins with an academic pre-session to prepare students for life in France and academic work in French universities. Credit-bearing internships in a variety of fields are available during winter/spring quarters.
Begin Application Process
- Open to all majors
- Junior or senior standing at the start of the program
Completion of French 121-3 or 125-3, plus at least one 200-level French course.
- Apply for permission to study abroad
All students are required to apply for permission to study abroad. Learn more about the process, deadlines, and access the application on the apply to study abroad page.
- Apply for your study abroad program
All affiliated programs and all Northwestern exchange programs require an additional external program application. Please check the program’s website for more details and deadlines.
- Fall quarter: Sweet Briar awards 1 unit of credit for the Sweet Briar Orientation Course, for which Northwestern will grant general credit. For the remainder of the semester, enroll in at least 4 Sweet Briar units (typically 4 courses).
- Winter/Spring quarters: Enroll in at least 5 units of credit (typically 5 courses) on the program. (Sweet Briar does not award credit for the orientation for the spring semester).
- Full Year: Enroll in a total of 10 units of credit, which includes 1 unit earned in the fall for the Sweet Briar Orientation Course.
- 4 to 6 Northwestern units
- Visit Registration & Credit to learn more about credit types and requirements, registration, and other considerations.
Homestays arranged by the program (13 meals/week).
Study abroad program costs vary widely and may be more or less expensive than studying at Northwestern. Review the comparison.
Fall 2018: $27,490
Billed by Northwestern
Estimated Additional Costs
- Additional meals: $1,500
- Airfare: $900
- Local transportation: $300
- Books & supplies: $200
- Personal expenses: $500
- Visa: $240
Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Financial aid is based on the total cost of the program, including all expenses outlined above.
- Visit the SBC website for information about their available scholarships.
- Students are also encouraged to apply for other study abroad scholarships.
Program Financial Details
This section outlines some of the billing and financial arrangements for the Junior Year in France program through Sweet Briar College, and is intended as a guide to help you navigate the financial aspects of your study abroad process. You should always refer to your program materials for the most current information and instructions.
After you are accepted to the JYF program, you will be required to pay a deposit directly to Sweet Briar to confirm your place on the program. It is your responsibility to pay this deposit; Northwestern cannot pay or waive deposits for affiliated programs.
Your Northwestern invoice will be issued through CAESAR on the regular quarterly schedule, and will include your JYF program fee and the NU study abroad fee. Refer to your program materials for the most current cost information.
- Sweet Briar Deposit: If you paid a confirmation deposit, it will be credited to your CAESAR account after Sweet Briar has confirmed the payment.
- Sweet Briar Scholarships: If you were awarded a scholarship from Sweet Briar, it will disburse to your CAESAR account after the funds have been sent to Northwestern.
- NU Financial Aid: If you receive financial aid and/or loans, these funds will continue to apply directly to your CAESAR account.
If you use the Northwestern 9PAY plan, you may continue to use 9PAY for your NU-billed study abroad expenses, but you should request a study abroad 9PAY estimate to have your plan set up appropriately.
Other Program Charges
Because your program fee will be billed through your Northwestern account, you should not receive a separate invoice from Sweet Briar College for your program's tuition or room/board.
Additional fees may apply for certain courses, housing add-ons, field trips, or other optional items related to your program. If applicable, you are responsible for paying these fees directly to Sweet Briar.