Travel News and Tips
Information Regarding American Airlines' Merger with US Airways
To ensure you get your miles when flying on US Airways:
- When updating traveler profiles in Orbitz for Business with AAdvantage numbers, the AAdvantage numbers should only be designated as American Airlines and not US Airways. Account numbers designated as US Airways are not recognized and no miles will be earned.
- Do not enter an old US/Dividend Miles account number into the profile as the AA loyalty number.
- When using an AAdvantage number to book an itinerary that includes US Airways marketed flights, the AAdvantage number will be associated with the US Airways flights in the itinerary.
- Once members have stored their new AAdvantage number, the US Airways number can be deleted.
Please note that none of Northwestern's Approved Travel Agencies will book airfare on Spirit Airlines. These agencies report difficulties working with Spirit due to the company's complicated pricing model and limited flight schedules.
Ebola Facts and Resources
The Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS) and Northwestern University Health Service (NUHS) are monitoring the spread of the Ebola virus in three West African countries: Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Northwestern does not sponsor study abroad programs in these locations. Dr. John Alexander, Executive Director, NUHS, strongly advises that all Northwestern faculty, students, and staff to postpone non-essential upcoming travel to Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia until further notice. For more information about travel and risk of exposure, as well as other ebola resources, please visit Northwestern University Health Service.
Orbitz for Business Updated International Process
In order to prevent fraudulent purchases, Orbitz for Business now restricts international bookings made within three days of departure. This policy applies only to international flights billed directly to the University. Orbitz will prevent users from purchasing new airfare or modifying existing reservations if the scheduled flight time is in less than 72 hours.
- If you need to change an existing international reservation within three days of departure, please call Orbitz at 312-469-1956.
- If you need to book a new international trip within three days of departure, you may either use another approved travel agency or book using your personal credit card by calling Orbitz at 312-469-1956.
This process update helps ensure a secure purchasing environment for all users while affecting very few travelers. If you have any questions, contact Jeff Levin, Travel Manager, at 847-491-5993 or email@example.com.
NUIT Tech Talk Recording Available: "Stay Connected and Secure When Travelling"
Preparing for travel has become more than just tossing your laptop in a bag. Now highly mobile options, such as smart phones and tablets, give you the opportunity to reduce your carry-on bag significantly if you choose. These options also present some new risks. Learn how to protect your information and your devices in this May 8, 2014, NUIT Tech Talk, which covers advice for before, during, and after travel. Topics include:
- Protecting passwords during and after a trip
- Tips to prepare for national or international travel
- How to connect securely from mobile devices while away from home
Full recording (33 minutes): "Stay Connected and Secure When Travelling"
Also check out more security tips for travel from NUIT.
Transfer Your Elite Status to United Airlines
You can match your elite status on any of 40+ airlines with equivalent status in the United Mileage Plus Program (up to Premier or Premier Executive status).
To apply for the Corporate Status Match program:
- Complete the application (doc).
- E-mail your completed application (saved as a Word document) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Mileage Plus Corporate Status Match".
- TSA Prohibited Items
Learn which items are not permitted in carry-on and checked baggage for air travel.
- International Travel: Alerts and Fact Sheets
The U.S. State Department issues alerts about dangerous situations and other conditions that may pose security risks for American travelers. Country-specific general travel information is also available.