Compass Frequently Asked Questions
Jump to a question:
- I requested our preferred airline, but it is not displayed as an option. Why not?
- How do I access the airplane seat maps to choose my seats?
- Will Compass automatically upgrade me or my travelers using frequent flyer status?
- I cannot find the hotel that I want to book. Why not?
- I made a hotel reservation, but I did not receive a confirmation number. How do I get one?
- How do I display a trip that is already booked on Compass?
- I frequently travel to the same destination, stay in the same hotel, and rent the same type of car. Is there a way to avoid re-entering the same information every time?
- How do I complete the "Company Information" section when charging travel to my personal credit card?
- I am getting a "Forbidden" error when trying to log in. What might the problem be?
- When I book a trip on Compass, when is it actually ticketed?
- How do I know that Tower Travel has received my Compass booking?
- When I book a flight online, is my airfare guaranteed?
- If I make a reservation over the phone, can I view it on Compass?
- How do I change my itinerary?
- How do I get a refund?
- How do I contact Tower Travel?
- Who do I contact for Compass technical support?
Northwestern University's travel policy is to accept the lowest available airfare. Your preferred airline may not offer the lowest available airfare.
Try modifying your request to show more flights per leg. However, it's possible that your preferred airline will still not appear if it does not offer a low enough fare.
Once your flight choices have been made, you will automatically be presented with a seat map. There is a key for the types of seats available.
Not all seats will be available. Travelers may need to request a particular seat at the airport.
No. Please contact a Travel Counselor at Tower Travel to handle upgrades and upgrade coupons.
It's possible that the hotel you want may be sold out. You can either choose another hotel, or contact Tower Travel. A Travel Counselor at Tower will check availability directly with the hotel and get back to you.
Most hotels provide a confirmation number immediately when you book online. If you did not receive one, contact Tower Travel. They will confirm the reservation with the hotel directly and get back to you.
Be sure to check your e-mail confirmation for all confirmation numbers.
Click Trips on the red navigation bar at the top of the main page. You can view all reservations that you booked online in the past 25 months.
Yes. You can create a Trip Template for any trip.
You can create a Trip Template from the Reservation Complete page. Enter a template name, then click Save Template in the box on the right side of the page.
To use a Trip Template, click Templates from the red navigation bar on the main page. Select the desired template, enter the new dates, and click Price Itinerary.
Under the “Company Information” section of your reservation, enter all digits as a zero. For example, Fund: 000, DeptID: 0000000, etc. View the sample screen shot for more information.
If you receive a "Forbidden" error when trying to log into Compass, the problem may be that you are connected to the internet through both a wired and wireless connection. To troubleshoot this error, disconnect either your wired or wireless connection, close your browser, and then re-open your browser and try logging on again. If you continue to receive the "Forbidden" message, contact the NUIT help desk at 847-491-HELP (4357) or open a Support Request.
After you book online, Tower reviews the booking and authorizes the ticket. This usually occurs within one hour. Your ticket will typically be an e-ticket.
Your Reservation Complete page and your notification e-mail will indicate that your booking has been made and provide a Record Locator for any needed follow-up.
Your airfare is not guaranteed until ticketed. Ticketing usually takes place within one hour of booking.
The rates you see on Compass are typically the same rates that the travel counselor will be able to ticket. Fares are presented with Northwestern University's discounts applied.
No. In Compass, you can only view reservations that you have made through Compass. These reservations can be viewed by clicking Trips from the red navigation bar.
If your reservation has not yet been ticketed, you may make changes to your itinerary. If your reservation has been ticketed, you will need to contact a Travel Counselor at Tower Travel to make changes.
Return any unused airline tickets to Tower Travel. If you have an e-ticket, you must notify Tower so that Tower can obtain the refund.
Nonrefundable e-tickets will remain on file for future use. It is important to cancel nonrefundable tickets prior to the travel date.
Call Tower Travel at 866-NU2-TRVL (866-682-8785). Tower's Travel Counselors have access to all bookings made through Compass.
Compass technical support is provided by Tower Travel. E-mail email@example.com.
Click Profile at the top of any Compass page. Access the individual link(s) that you need, update your information, and click Save.
Changes that you make online will automatically update the profile that Tower maintains for you.
Contact Tower Travel's Online Solutions group (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. CST):
- Phone: 630-928-7090 or 866-NU2-TRVL (866-682-8785)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Help and Tutorial
- To access Online Help, click Help on the blue navigation bar at the top of any Compass page.
Online Travel Information
- See the Travel Tools section (at the bottom left of the main screen) for activities, maps, directions, weather, city guides, a world clock, and more.
- To check flight status, enter flight information in the Arrival & Departure section (at the bottom right of the main screen).