International Driver's License Policy

Northwestern University adheres to vehicle rental industry driver's licenses standard practices

International Renters (Renting in the US or Canada):

  • License must be issued from the Country of Residence.
  • All drivers must have a valid non-expired driving license and photographic identification to be produced at the time of rental.
  • Two part license holders must produce both parts.
  • International Driver's Permit required if the license is not in English

If the driver's license is in a language other than English, but the characters are in English (e.g. alphabet is an extended Latin-based alphabet like German, Spanish, etc.), an International Driver's Permit is recommended but not required.

  • Note: An International Driver's Permit is a translation of the individual's home country driver's license and is not an indication of the status, restrictions or type of license the individual holds.

If the driver's license is in a language other than English and the characters are not in the English language (e.g. Russian, Chinese, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is required.

  • Note: Customers are not allowed to rent a vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit.