International Driver's License Policy
Northwestern University adheres to vehicle rental industry driver's licenses standard practices
International Renters (Renting in the US or Canada):
- License must be issued from the Country of Residence.
- All drivers must have a valid non-expired driving license and photographic identification to be produced at the time of rental.
- Two part license holders must produce both parts.
- International Driver's Permit required if the license is not in English
If the driver's license is in a language other than English, but the characters are in English (e.g. alphabet is an extended Latin-based alphabet like German, Spanish, etc.), an International Driver's Permit is recommended but not required.
- Note: An International Driver's Permit is a translation of the individual's home country driver's license and is not an indication of the status, restrictions or type of license the individual holds.
If the driver's license is in a language other than English and the characters are not in the English language (e.g. Russian, Chinese, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is required.
- Note: Customers are not allowed to rent a vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit.