Pick Up & Return of Vehicles
|To pick up a reserved motor pool vehicle, please go to:|
2020 Ridge Ave., Dock 9
Evanston, IL 60208-4325 (map)
710 North Lake Shore Dr., Abbott Hall, Room 100
Chicago, IL 60611
- A valid driver's license and a WildCARD for identification verification. Valid driver's licenses are those issued from any state in the United States, Canada, and international licenses with an endorsement for driving in the U.S. The license must not expire during the rental period. There are no exceptions.
- Student drivers must also present a letter of authorization on department letterhead designating them as having departmental permission to drive the vehicle. A separate student driver authorization letter is required for each rental.
- The driver will be required to sign a statement of vehicle condition. If, after inspection, any damages are found, the inspection portion of the Rental Reservation Sheet will be modified to reflect the damage.
Pick Up Policies:
- A vehicle must be picked up no later than 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday (with the exception of University holidays). If a vehicle is picked up by 8:30 am, it must be returned by 10:00 am the next business day or a second day charge will be added.
- On weekends (pick-up after 4:00 pm on Friday), vehicles are charged for a two-day rental unless prior arrangements have been made (see Outside Vendor Supplied Vehicles). If the car is returned on Monday morning to the Motor Pool office, there will be a two-day charge. Vehicles (pick-up after 4:00 pm on Friday) obtained from our outside vendor are always charged for two days on a weekend.
- Motor Pool staff will inspect the vehicle for any damages in the presence of the driver or a representative of the renting department if it is returned during normal business hours. If the vehicle is dropped off after hours, Motor Pool staff will inspect it the following morning.
- If damages are found, we will compare them with the customer inspection portion of the Rental Reservation Sheet. Damage costs up to the limit of the department deductible ($500 per incident) will be billed directly to the renting department. A copy of the Rental Reservation Sheet with the damage noted is available to the department upon request.
- Please refer to the customer copy of the Rental Reservation Sheet for the agreed upon return time. If a vehicle is picked up by 8:30 am, it must be returned by 10:00 am the next day, or a second day charge will be added.
- Return of the vehicle during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) must be done in person, directly with the Motor Pool office.
- Returns may be made on weekends or after hours may be done by parking the vehicle in the parking lot on the north side of Leon Place and dropping the keys in the key drop located on the north side of the 2020 Ridge building. Note: The vehicle is not considered returned if the keys are not placed in the key drop.
- When circumstances necessitate a change in the time of return, the Motor Pool should be notified promptly. If possible, scheduling will be adjusted to accommodate the driver.
- When failure to return a vehicle forces the Motor Pool to lease a vehicle from an outside vendor, a penalty will be charged. This fee will be the difference between the Motor Pool rate and the rate charged by the outside vendor for the length of time that Motor Pool vehicle is overdue or until the outside vendor vehicle can be returned.
- The Motor Pool may also charge for lost revenue resulting from a late return. Charges will be the daily rental rate and could number from one day up to the number of days the late return vehicle is not available for rental.
Return of outside vendor-supplied vehicles:
- Enterprise vehicles may be returned on Saturdays. Please contact the Motor Pool at (847) 491-3560 for instructions.