Bike to Work
The Chicagoland Bike-to-Work week is June 8-14. To celebrate, we will host Bike Commuter Stations on June 10 and June 12. Bicyclists will be able to purchase Kryptonite locks at cost from University Police, and bike mechanics will be on hand to offer a free safety check or lube and air. And of course, refreshments will be provided. Wheel on in and see us!
June 10: Chicago Campus
7:00 – 9:30 am
June 12: Evanston Campus
We also encourage NU employees to register for the Active Transportation Alliance’s Bike Commuter Challenge. This is a fun opportunity to compete with other Chicago organizations to see who can be the greenest and healthiest.
Bicycle Resources On and Around Campus
Riding a bicycle to work is a commuting option that can have economic, environmental, and health benefits. Northwestern offers the following services and resources for bicycle riders:
- Secure bicycle parking is available on the Chicago campus. For more information, click here.
- Bike racks on all University shuttle buses.
- Kryptonite brand locks available for purchase at cost through University Police. Contact (312) 503-8314 for additional information.
- University Police also provides free, online bicycle registration for the campus community.
- Air compressor located outside the Norris University Center west entrance (equipped for Schrader valves only)
- Shower facilities are available in Chicago free of charge at the Lake Shore Chicago Park District facility. Click here for more details. The shower facilities in Evanston are in a restricted area, so you will need to register with University Services in order to use them (free of charge). Contact Brian Peters for details.
- Transportation maps are available at either WildCARD Office.
- View the University Police web page on bicycle safety.
- Norris University Center operates Wildcat Wheels, a bike share program.
- The City of Chicago provides a Bicycling Information website.
- The UNC Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center provides helpful commuting tips on their Bike to Work website.