Information for Vendors
Purchasing at Northwestern
The University maintains a decentralized purchasing environment. Purchasing Resource Services (PRS) is considered the procurement expert at the University. PRS is the single point of contact for centralized procurement activities. The role of PRS is to help departments/schools make informed, best-value purchasing decisions. The University buys a wide variety of goods and services in numerous categories.
Learn more about:
- Procurement Environment at Northwestern
- Strategic Sourcing
- Purchasing Resource Services
- Preferred Vendors
- iBuyNU Marketplace
- Registration process
- Vendor Code of conduct
General Information for Vendors
Vendors interested in doing business with Northwestern should familiarize themselves with the following:
- Vendors that have been successful at the University have developed a relationship with Purchasing Resource Services as well as individual departments and schools by providing quality products and services at a fair market price.
- Vendors should become familiar with the University, the campus layout and location of departments and schools.
- Parking is at a premium. On the Evanston Campus, get a daily vendor parking pass at the University Police parking office in order to park on campus. There are commercial parking lots near the Chicago Campus.
- Vendor credit applications will not be filled out by Northwestern. If general information is needed, contact PRS.
- Northwestern University is a separate buying organization from Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation. These organizations should be contacted separately for purchasing and business matters.
- The University expressly states that it will not be bound by any content on the Contractor's website, even if the Contractor's documentation specifically references that content.
- Northwestern's standard delivery requirement is 'F.O.B. Destination' with transportation charges prepaid on all orders to the University. There shall also be no fuel surcharge on any order.
- The University is exempt from the retailers' occupation tax, the service occupation tax (both state and local), the use tax, the service use tax, and the Federal excise tax.
- Our Illinois State tax exemption identification number is E 9990-4055-06.
- Our Federal excise tax exemption certificate registry number is 3673-0269F.
- University standard terms for payment shall be NET 30 days from the date of delivery, or date of receipt of correct invoice, whichever is later.
- Minority-owned, woman-owned and local (Evanston) vendors may register for the University's Supplier Diversity database. Fax or mail the General Information form found on the Supplier Diversity page.