The Procurement Card (P-Card) is an important component of the procurement strategy at Northwestern.
When using a P-Card, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- P-Cards are to be used on a limited basis, for a portion of your spending.
- P-Cards should not be used for all purchases or as a way to avoid using NUFinancials.
- Do not use your P-Card to order from vendors that are in iBuyNU.
- Individual limits can be set by departments/schools for each of their P-Card holders (both an amount per transaction limit as well as a monthly total limit).
Specific examples of when the Procurement Card should be used include:
- Registration fees
- Membership dues
- Emergencies (products or services)
- Internet orders (only when item needed cannot be found from any other source)
Departments/schools are encouraged to use the Procurement Card for small dollar, low-risk transactions instead of having a Purchase Order issued, unless the items needed are available from a Preferred Vendor in iBuyNU. However, note that departments/schools can enforce a more restrictive use of the card if they conclude that makes sense given their unique culture, control environment, or budget concerns. The Procurement Card program make certain that they support those decisions by ensuring the P-Card setup is in line with department/school policy as well as ensuring that the Program is aware of the department/school-specific rules when providing customer service to their cardholders.
Contact the Procurement Card Program which is part of the Controller’s Office, for more information about obtaining a Procurement Card.