Student Trip Report Form

Is your Student Trip reportable and how do your report a Student Trip?

Use the Student Trip Reporting Decision Grid to determine if a trip is reportable and the Student Trip Form to submit qualifying student trip information. You must log in with your Net ID and password to access the Form.

Clery Act domestic and international student trip documentation

Pursuant to the Clery Act (a federal law), the University on an annual basis is required to disclose certain reported crime statistics that occur during University sponsored / arranged domestic and international student trips. Community members who are administratively responsible for domestic and international student trips are expected to report student trip information to University Police regardless if any Act reportable crimes occurred on a trip.

Not all student trips need be reported. To be reportable, student trips must meet certain requirements. The University must have control over the trip or program accommodation and any related academic space used in conjunction with the trip. Control, as defined by the Clery Act, means that there is a written agreement (no matter how informal) directly between the University and the end provider for use of the space.

In addition, the controlled space must be used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes and frequented by students. Some examples of a written agreement include renting hotel rooms, leasing apartments, leasing space in a student housing facility or academic space on another campus and even an e-mail agreement for use of space free of charge. Hostels are not normally reportable unless the written agreement gives the University control over the space within the accommodation.

Why does university police need this information?

Information on Act qualifying student trips is needed by University Police for follow-up with the local law enforcement agency associated with the trip location. University Police will send a request to the trip location local law enforcement agency to determine if any Act qualifying crimes (occurring during the trip time frame and at the University arranged accommodation and/or related academic space) were reported directly to the local law enforcement and thus may not be known to University personnel. * Note, other University / Departmental internal crime reporting requirements may still exist on any Act reportable or non-reportable student trips.

Reporting crimes occurring on act qualifying (reportable) student trips

Act qualifying crimes which occur in student trip utilized accommodation and/or academic space, and common areas of location(s) used to access said space, must be reported to University Police on a timely basis using the online Crime Report Form. For additional information on Act qualifying (reportable) crimes, visit the Clery Act Reportable Crimes information sheet. In an emergency, dial 911 or, if outside the United States, contact the local law enforcement agency.


If you have any questions on the Clery Act or as to whether your trip or program should be reported, please contact the Northwestern University Clery Act Coordinator, David Schultz, (847) 491-3752 or