The Emergency Services Division is committed to full compliance and cooperation with policies regarding university emergency preparedness.
Federal - College Opportunity and Affordability Act (COAA) 2007
COAA’s objective is to make college safer, more affordable and accessible. The bill reforms higher education systems so that they operate in the best interest of the students and families, while boosting competitiveness and strengthening our future.
- Mandates campus safety and disaster readiness plans development.
- Creates National Center for Campus Safety within the Department of Justice to work in collaboration with the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program.
- Establishes disaster relief loan program to help schools recover and rebuild in the event of a disaster.
State - Campus Security Enhancement Act (CSEA) 2009
CSEA encourages universities and colleges to develop, implement, train and exercise a campus emergency response and violence prevention plan. The act also requires this information to be documented and submitted annually.
- Develop an all-hazard-compliant base plan, emergency support function and incident specific annexes.
- Coordinate plan with county and municipal officials.
- File plan with county manager and submit annual exercise schedule detailing exercise criteria.
- Create interdisciplinary / multijurisdictional campus violence prevention plan describing Campus Violence Committee and Threat Assessment Team incident assessment process and investigation procedures.