Northwestern University recognizes the importance of a sustainable campus culture. We embarked on the creation of our first Strategic Plan for Sustainability which will provide a vision and goals for our curriculum and research, infrastructure and operations, and engagement and outreach. Recognizing the complexity of sustainability and the breadth of its of impacts - from energy and greenhouse gas emissions to policy and regulation. President Schapiro and the Office of Sustainability have created a cross-disciplinary Sustainability Council which will be responsible for establishing this vision. This council will oversee the implementation of the programs and initiatives that will help the University achieve those goals.
Northwestern’s Sustainability Council consists of representatives and thought leaders from almost every school and most functional departments including Athletics, the Office of Research, and Facilities Management and Operations. The council is also comprised of students, both undergraduate and graduate, who are leaders in sustainability organizations and the Associated Student Government.
The Sustainability Council has faculty and administrative representation from:
- The Office of the Provost
- The Office of Sponsored Research
- The Institute for Sustainability and Energy at Northwestern
- The Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- The Department of Chemistry
- McCormick School of Engineering
- Kellogg School of Management
- Feinberg School of Medicine
- The Bienen School of Music
- The School of Education
- The Graduate School
- The Medill School of Journalism
- The School of Professional Studies
- NU Information Technology
- NU Facilities Management
- Northwestern Athletics
- The Office of Sustainability
And student participation from:
- VP of Sustainability - Associated Student Government
- President – Kellogg Sustainable Business Club
- President – Engineers for a Sustainable World (ESW)
- President – Students for Ecological and Environmental Development (SEED)
- President – Northwestern Energy and Sustainability Consortium (NESC)
The Sustainability Council supports the creation and implementation of the strategic plan for sustainability through the development and facilitation of working groups comprised of subject matter experts and key stakeholders in the following areas:
- Energy, Infrastructure, and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Resource Conservation and Food Programs
- Engagement and Communications
- Curriculum and Research
These working groups are tasked with identifying and assessing initiatives that will help Northwestern achieve their vision for sustainability and for providing ongoing recommendations and progress reports to the Sustainability Council, the Office of the Provost, and the President.
For more information about Northwestern’s Strategic Plan for Sustainability, please contact the Office of Sustainability.