Awards and Recognition
Excellence in Sustainability Award
As Northwestern University pursues its commitment to leadership in sustainability, we would like to acknowledge those who go above and beyond in greening our campuses and curriculum. The Excellence in Sustainability Awards recognize members of the Northwestern Community who have displayed outstanding leadership and dedication in promoting sustainability on campus.
Any member of the University community may nominate a student, staff member, or faculty member for this award by submitting a nomination form to the Office of Sustainability. Award recipients will be recognized at the Quarterly Service Excellence Luncheons.
Congratulations to our past winners and thank you for contributions to a more sustainable Northwestern.
- Renee Wellman, School of Education and Social Policy 2016
- Miranda Cawley, Medill 2016
- Matthew Glazer, PhD 2015
- Shaina Wagner, School of Communication 2016
- Dave Snydacker, PhD 2016
- Christina Cilento, School of Education and Social Policy 2017
- Mike Ziebel, Weinberg 2015
Faculty and Staff Awards
- Brent Turner, Tracey Gibson-Jackson, Hope Wallace, Joseph Lattal, Lindsay Marrero, and Stephaine Villanova, Student Organizations and Activities
- Dan Foley, Norris University Center
- Marcela Swenson, Administration and Planning
- Elizabeth Adamczyk, University Library
- Sue Oldenburg, University Library
- Erini Kikilis, Office of Alumni Relations and Development
- Phil Hockberger, Feinberg School of Medicine
- James McKinney, Facilities Management
- Seamus Fitzgerald, Office of Alumni Relations and Development
- Maggie Waldron, School of Education & Social Policy
- Jen Thennes, Office of Sponsored Research
- Dave Grosskopf, Facilities Management
Northwestern has been recognized as a local, regional, and national leader in promoting sustainability. The University is proud to have received the following awards.
- U.S. EPA 2015 Green Power Leadership Award: Northwestern University received a 2015 Green Power Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The award recognizes the country’s leading green power users for their commitment and contribution to helping advance the development of the nation’s voluntary green power market.
- 2014 Tree Campus USA Recognition: Tree Campus USA is a national program created by the Arbor Day Foundation to honor higher education institutions for successfully overseeing their campus forests and for engaging staff and students in tree conservation.
- Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Awards: Northwestern received Gold status from the Campus Sustainability Compact as a part of the 2013 Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Awards.
- Green Power Challenge: Northwestern University has been ranked in first or second place for the past three years in the Big 10 EPA College & University Green Power Challenge.
- Green Power Partnership: Northwestern was ranked 4th in the EPA’s 2015 Top 30 College & University list for the largest green power users among higher education institutions within the Green Power Partnership.
- Citizens Utility Board (CUB): The CUB Energy Saver Challenge honored Northwestern employees with Outstanding Work to Promote Energy Efficiency in April 2012.