Awards and Recognition
Our hard work to decrease the ecological footprint of our campus is paying off. Check out the recent honors we’ve received recognizing our commitment to sustainability.
- Illinois Green Governments Coordinating Council: Northwestern University achieved gold standard recognition established by the Illinois Campus Sustainability Compact in October 2013.
- Green Power Challenge: Northwestern University was the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 Big 10 Champion in the EPA's College & University Green Power Challenge. We were also recognized in the Green Power Leadership Club for exemplary green power procurement.
- Green Power Partnership: Northwestern was ranked 8th in the EPA’s 2012 and 2013 Top 30 College & University list for the largest green power users among higher education institutions within the Green Power Partnership.
- Citizens Utility Board (CUB): The CUB Energy Saver Challenge honored Northwestern employees with Outstanding Work to Promote Energy Efficiency in April 2012.
- 3Degrees: 3Degrees, a company providing green power and carbon offset products, affirmed that Northwestern secured Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) representing the generation of 96,005 megawatt hours (MWh) of renewable energy as of February 2013.
- 3 Phases Energy: In May 2012, Northwestern University was recognized for extraordinary environmental leadership through the support of renewable energy by 3 Phases Energy.
- The Prairie Research Institute: Northwestern received Bronze in the 2012 Governor's Sustainability Awards from the Prairie Research Institute.
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE): NU is an AASHE member, which has several online resources for students as well as an annual conference.