Brussels Field Study & Internship Program
Sponsor: Internships in Francophone Europe (IFE)
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Brussels, a city where multiple European cultures meet, is the policy and decisional center of the European Union as well as home to a lively, multi-lingual, contemporary and urbanized European culture.
This small, intense program gives independent-minded students with strong French language skills the opportunity to complete a 12-week internship and independent research experience, culminating in a lengthy field-based research paper written in French. The program has two phases: (1) 5 weeks of introductory courses on Belgium and its role in contemporary Europe as well as 15-20 hours of Dutch language instruction, (2) a 12-week intensive internship. The internship phase is coupled with an ongoing, weekly seminar course on European-level identities, public opinion and democratization. Through individualized internship placements as well as a structured, individually-attentive academic program, the Brussels Field Study & Internship program suits the academic needs and personal interests of students from a wide variety of disciplines.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IFE application by the program's deadline
Languages: French, Dutch
- 2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
- The Northwestern Department of French and Italian recommends that students take at least two to three 200-level French courses at Northwestern before beginning the program.
- Most students live in a popular student housing form in Belgium called a "kot", which consists of an apartment or small building where students have their own room and share kitchen and living areas
- Note: Family housing is uncommon in Brussels and may not be available
- Meals may or may not be included in IFE housing options
- Read through IFE's Housing Overview for more details about housing and meals
Program Costs:Fall 2015: approx. $21,700
Billed by Northwestern:
Estimated additional costs: $10,652
- Room & board: $5,600
- Airfare: $1,350
- Local transportation: $500
- Books & supplies: $100
- Personal expenses: $2,650
- Visa & fees: $300
- HTH: $152