Facilitator: Nina Modi
Presenting: Paul Hubinsky, Dr. Lesley Ann Brown
Note Takers: Jill Brazel/Nina Modi
|Tony Kirchmeier||Off Campus|
|Dr. Lesley Ann Brown||Inclusion|
|Lopa Patel||Graduate Housing|
|Annaleah Tubbin||Res Life|
|Paul Hubinsky||Res Life|
|Virginia Koch||Res Life|
|Alison May||Students With Disabilities|
|Jeremy Hopkins||University Career Services|
Introduction of Attendees
Attendees were asked to:
- Introduce themselves, including department and role
- Provide expectations of the group meeting
|Move In App||Paul Hubinsky
|Inclusion||Lesley Ann Brown|
|Q & A||Nina Modi|
Introduction to Meeting
Welcome to the group and we appreciate the participation. Our goal for these monthly group meetings is to provide training, resources, information and guidance so that each department will have all the support to maintain and enhance their websites. We encourage everyone to attend as many meetings as possible.
- The minutes from each our WCUG meetings are posted as a resource to you to review our discussions.
- Cascade did NOT do the planned upgrade but we will keep you posted.
- Provide feedback to Nina Modi, email address firstname.lastname@example.org
AccessibleNU and Updates
- Web Developer working group meeting was well attended.
- Tommy went through the NU new website redesign with Web Comm and so far has found it to be accessible and they are continuing to work with him.
- Tommy, Chris Walker, Jim Roberts and Alison will be presenting at NASPA Tech in Indianapolis in October on Accessibility.
New tab on site that creates a student database for SSD
- Students can apply for services
- have exams proctored
- access test scheduling
Alison showed examples on the site-huge improvement and saves time, students are thrilled. SSD has been successfully working with the 3 new parapalegic students. Overall a huge step forward for SSD.
Move In Application
Res Life needed a solution to the move in parking system that was implemented 2 years ago to streamline parking, unloading, check in for all 2000 freshmen students. Paul worked closely with SAIT to review what was working and what wasn't. It was a clunky system, with log in issues. With SAIT's help they created a new application that makes it easier for students, parents and staff. They created permits and maps, made it easy to view lots and select unloading times.
Recommendations for creating a new application:
- Start early!
- Document the process
- Create a one-stop solution
- Not everything can be done through app and will always need human interaction
Inclusion Department and Website
Dr. Lesley Ann Brown is the new director for the Department of Inclusion & Community. She has been working closely with Nina on creating the site for her departments needs. She is creating a Student Task Force and asked departments to nominate students. Looking for 20 students per year. Needed to create on the site Resources for the student task force, applications and requirements.
The Student Task Force will be divided into working groups:
- Dialogue Program
- Education & Training
Nina reiterated if any of you have a need or possible need for a new application, to contact Nina as soon as you can to discuss it. Questions to think about:
Why do you need this application? Is there a better way?
Nina will meet with you and determine the best solution. It takes a great deal of time to do it correctly. Consider your relationship a partnership and we want to learn about your departments to help you find and develop the best solutions.