Facilitator: Nina Modi
Presenting: Alison May, Groups
Note Takers: Jill Brazel/Nina Modi
|Tony Kirchmeier||Off Campus|
|Lopa Patel||Graduate Housing|
|Josh McKenzie||Orientation and Parent Programming|
|Alison May||Students With Disabilities|
|Jeremy Hopkins||University Career Services|
|Lance Watson||Student Conduct|
Introduction of Attendees
Attendees were asked to:
- Introduce themselves, including department and role
- Provide expectations of the group meeting
Introduction to Meeting
Welcome to the group and we appreciate the participation. Our goal for these monthly group meetings is to provide training, resources, information and guidance so that each department will have all the support to maintain and enhance their websites. We encourage everyone to attend as many meetings as possible.
- The minutes from each our WCUG meetings are posted as a resource to you to review our discussions.
- The LGBT site has been moved from Norris to fall under the MSA department and is now live.
- Provide feedback to Nina Modi, email address email@example.com
- Accessibility checks in Cascade now also have a check for text links through out your site. Alison showed where you can find this in your Cascade directory. She discussed linking to documents in your text and after meeting with Tommy Carroll the best practice is to always include the .doc to whatever type of document you are linking to. (ie. "Student Handbook (pdf.doc)")
- Always keep in mind consistency in your links.
- Jessica Watson asked if slideshows with text were accessible and they are not at this time. Alison emphasized the importance of simple, clean sites and how it helps those with disabilities. Keeping pages to a maximum of 600 words is a best practice also.
- Alison gave a brief Thank You to SAIT as they are about to launch their database system AIM.
- Any accessiblity questions can be sent to Alison May's email.
Brainstorming Breakout Session
Nina informed the group that we are launching the Search widget as we have it and can make adjustments but it will be going live on all sites.
Last month Nina formed 2 groups, to discuss the following:
- Navigation Drop down method - Trial on the Sustainability website
- The social media sidebar - Trail on the UCS website
- The search tool - Trial on the UCS website
- Overall DOSA websites - likes dislikes
- WCUG meetings and ideas - discuss goals, role and future function of WCUG
* not present at June 28, 2012 meeting
Virginia Koch - Scribe
Dan Amato - Scribe
*Courtney Brooks Albinson
Jeremy Hopkins - Scribe
Group 1 (Virginia Koch and Dan Amato) presented their findings:
- Navigation: integrate drop down from tabs
- Maps: Standardized campus map with interactivity allowing user to see what building is mentioned on a site and where it is and also include shuttle information and wild card discounts, etc.
- Issuu: Used in NSFP, getting a master account for the division so we can all use the bookshelf concept for showing our documents, newsletters, etc.
- Search tool: Discussion about most students not knowing what DOSA is so using the entire university to search but prioritizing DOSA results.
- Social Media Bar: Liked it and thought everyone should have it, also include social media links within email signatures. Also discussed some departments that may want to have some level of privacy as far as Facebook (SSD).
- Google Analytics: Should be accessible to all departments, very helpful tool.
- Education Advisory Board: NU is a member and we have access to research they offer.
- All DOSA departments should have full bios and staff info listed on their sites.
- Would love more training in Cascade on an ongoing basis.
Group 2 (Eric Budinski) presented their findings:
- Navigation: Redundant and blocks text, more discussion about dropping down from tabs.
- Social Media: Would love the social media platform to open in a new window instead of taking user away from NU site. Thought is was distracting to follow when you scroll. Discussion of placement on page with group.
- Banner takes up space on page. Trying to have less scrolling. Discussion of font size and type.
- Search tool: Hidden, make the whole box static.
- Anchors: not present on all pages.
- Calendars: lots of redundancy and need for a standardized calendar. Discussion of Planit Purple and no students use it vs. Google calendar. Possibly coming up with a SA calendar.
- Note to all users to keep text minimal and go through your sites and edit. BE DIRECT IN WHAT YOU OFFER.
- Would love more specific training sessions, all day classroom.
- Bullet points too fancy, not sure they are bullet points.
- Home, too fancy, spell out.
Nina will follow up with a summary and next steps via an email.