Safety @ NU
Responsible Action Protocol
Did you know? Students who assist others in an emergency (including alcohol or drug overdoses) generally face no disciplinary action for their own infractions. Just remember to:
- Call 911
- Stay with the person needing assistance
- Cooperate with emergency & university officials
For more information see our Responsible Action Protocol (RAP) page.
- University Police
- Helping Students in Distress
- Safe Ride
- Evanston Police
- Alcohol and Other Resources
- Shuttle Service
In an emergency, dial 911. Calling 911 on a Chicago campus phone will connect the caller with the Chicago Police Department.
- Evanston NU Police: 847-491-3456, 847-467-7883 (TDD)
- Chicago NU Police: 312-503-3456, 312-503-3999 (TDD)
- Dial 456 from any campus phone
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Parking office: 847-491-3319
University Police Links
- Crime Prevention and Safety
- Emergency Preparedness
- Safety and Security Tips
- Special University Police Community Programs
University Police Hours of Operation
The Chicago and Evanston campus University Police station lobby and the Evanston campus Communication Center are open 24 hours a day.
The University Police Evanston campus Administrative office business hours are 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. The office is closed on University holidays.
You can use the "Blue Light" Police Emergency phones, situated in strategic locations on both campuses, to report crimes in progress, suspicious persons, medical emergencies or concerns about your personal safety. The "Blue Light" phones are housed in bright yellow boxes or black towers. For "Blue Light" phone locations, click on map below:
For "Blue Light" phone locations, click on map below:
- Chicago "Blue Light" Police Emergency Phone Map (PDF)
- Evanston "Blue Light" Police Emergency Phone Map (PDF)
What is SafeRide?
- SafeRide is a service provided to members of the Northwestern community as a safe and free alternative to walking alone after dark.
- SafeRide drivers provide rides to and from destinations in and around Northwestern's Evanston campus.
- SafeRide is not a taxi, it is a safety service meant to be used in conjunction with other strategies such as traveling in groups and using Northwestern's Shuttle Service.
- SafeRide is staffed by student employees and administrators dedicated to enhancing campus safety.
Travel in Groups
Know Your Resources
Need a Ride?