Dependent Coverage 2016-2017
Dependent Open Enrollment Deadlines
Dependent open enrollment is aligned with student open enrollment. Open enrollment for Northwestern students is based on the first quarter in which they are actively enrolled at the University each academic year (for most students, this is Autumn Quarter). Students must first confirm their own NU-SHIP enrollment, and then they may enroll dependents.
Incoming or returning students whose initial registration in the 2016-2017 academic year occurs in Winter, Spring or Summer Quarter, should follow the applicable open enrollment periods and deadlines below to enroll your dependent(s):
First Quarter Registered in 2016-17
Open Enrollment Period
Deadline to Enroll Dependents
|Autumn Quarter||7/1/16 – 10/1/16||October 1, 2016|
|Winter Quarter||12/12/16 – 2/3/17||February 3, 2017|
|Spring Quarter||3/6/17 – 4/28/17||April 28, 2017|
|Summer Quarter||5/29/17 – 7/21/17||July 21, 2017|
Who Can I Cover?
- your dependent children, up to age 26
- your spouse / same-sex domestic partner
How Do I Enroll My Dependents?
- First, confirm your 2016-2017 NU-SHIP enrollment through the online Coverage Selection Form in CAESAR. Click here to confirm your NU-SHIP enrollment.
- Allow 7 business days for Aetna Student Health to process student enrollment data in their system for the current plan year.
- Then, contact Aetna Student Health customer support at 877.626.2314, or go directly to their online dependent enrollment page – and add your dependents to your coverage.
Remember: You must add dependents to your NU-SHIP coverage during your appropriate open enrollment period (see above) at the start of each new policy year.
Because dependents are not eligible to use the Northwestern University Health Service (NUHS), they are not subject to referral requirements and penalties that apply to students enrolled in the NU-SHIP.
What Does it Cost to Cover My Dependents?
2016–2017 Dependent NU-SHIP Premiums
Coverage 9/1/16 – 8/31/17
Coverage 1/1/17 – 8/31/17
Coverage 3/27/17 – 8/31/17
Coverage 6/19/17 – 8/31/17
|Spouse / Partner||$3,799||$2,530||$1,645||$771|
|Two or more children||$7,598||$5,060||$3,290||$1,542|
Please note: Aetna offers the option to pay for dependent coverage in quarterly installments.
For additional information, please go to Aetna's Dependent Enrollment page, enter your Student ID and date of birth, and then click on "View Plan Details" (and scroll down) to review the quarterly payment schedule.