The 2016-2017 tuition and fees for all undergraduate students (except those in the School of Professional Studies) are listed below. School of Professional Studies (SPS) undergraduates should review the SPS Undergraduate Tuition page. For other charges that may appear on your account, see the List of Fees page.
- All undergraduate students in degree programs must conform to the Undergraduate Registration Requirement (URR).
- Full-time registration for all undergraduate degree-seeking students is 3 to 5.5 units of credit in a quarter. See Special charges (below) for excess courses or part-time registration.
- Tuition is billed on the first invoice for each quarter.
Associated Student Government (ASG) Activity Fee$60/quarter
Covers special services and programs for students. Required of all full-time degree candidates except those enrolled in Teaching Newspaper or foreign study.
Athletic Events Fee$51/year
Provides free admission to all Northwestern home games. Fee is charged to all full-time students.
Health Services Fee$67/quarter
Required of all full-time degree candidates except those enrolled in Teaching Newspaper or foreign study.
Annual Health and Hospitalization Premium$3,799/year
Charged to students who opt-in to the Northwestern plan. All full-time Northwestern students are required to have health insurance coverage either through the Northwestern University/Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan or the student’s own health insurance carrier. See the Health Services website for more information on the Northwestern University/Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan. See the Student Enterprise Systems website for help enrolling in or waiving coverage in CAESAR.
Room and Board$15,489 (estimated)
Amount varies based on housing and meal plan selection.
Books and Supplies$1,620 (estimated)
Personal expenses$2,457 (estimated)
Total can vary depending on residential hall, meal plan, personal expenses, course load and enrollment in the Northwestern student health insurance plan.
Approximate total in this example includes tuition, ASG fee, Athletic Events Fee, Health Services Fee, room and board, books and supplies, and personal expenses for the full academic year.
Per the Undergraduate Registration Requirement, a student in a degree program who takes more than 5.5 units of credit in a quarter will be subject to an overload charge. The following rates also apply to nondegree special students.
- Excess courses: $5,980/per unit over 5.5 units
- Part-time: $5,980/per unit under 3 units; to be eligible for the part-time rate, a student must be enrolled in less than 3 units as of the add/drop date for a given term
(Note: most financial aid programs require at least half-time enrollment; eligibility may be affected for students being charged part-time tuition)