Get the help you need.
Taking advantage of the academic resources available to you at Northwestern can help you advance academically — and get the most out of your undergraduate education.
To increase your odds of success in your courses, and to enjoy them more:
- Attend faculty office hours: Office hours offer students more individualized help with course material and a relationship-building opportunity with professors. Although many undergraduates initially feel intimidated, almost all report positive experiences in the end. In fact, many faculty wonder why more students don't participate. If you're unsure of how to approach faculty, see Communicating Effectively with Faculty for suggestions.
- Attend TA office hours and TA tutoring: Typically, TA office hours are more expansive than faculty office hours. Many students make it a practice to go on a regular basis.
- Sign up for peer tutoring: This service is available in many mathematics, physics, and chemistry classes, and more. Students who use peer tutors report that it's a relaxed, comfortable way to get help and meet other students in their courses. Ask your professor if peer tutoring is available in your course. See Get Help with Particular Courses for opportunities.
- Join small-group peer-led learning programs: The Academic Mentoring Program or Gateway Science Workshop provide help understanding course material and a built-in community of learning partners.
In addition to the resources offered above, reframing the way you approach learning can make a big difference in your academic career. Review the What Is a Learning Mindset? page for ideas.
Other Academic Resources on Campus
- Tutoring and peer study
- The Writing Place (peer writing consultations) and NuWrite (online writing guidance)
- Guidance on academic integrity
- University Academic Advising Center (Pre-med, pre-health, and cross-college advising)
- Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- School of Communication
- School of Continuing Studies
- School of Education and Social Policy
- McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications
- Bienen School of Music
Stress Management and Personal Concerns
- University Career Services
- School of Communication Career Services
- School of Continuing Studies Career Services
- Medill Career Services
- Bienen School of Music Career Services