Student mentors play an essential role in the Gateway Science Workshop (GSW) program. They commit to the position for one academic year, with the possibility of extension.
- Prepares for and facilitates his/her assigned group once a week.
- Attends a weekly mentor meeting in advance of each workshop.
- Enrolls in SESP 291 (see Mentor Training below).
- Attends a new-mentor orientation the day before fall quarter begins.
- Assists in program-management activities.
- Participates in program-evaluation activities.
- Participates in community-building activities.
The GSW program recruits mentors every spring. We look for the following qualities in applicants:
- Solid understanding of subject matter.
- Ability to communicate effectively and help others understand.
- Patience, empathy, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong interest in teaching and a sincere desire to help others.
Potential applicants are invited to apply each spring. Any student who is interested in becoming mentor but does not receive an invitation may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All GSW facilitators receive training through enrolling in SESP 291.