Student mentors play an essential role in the Gateway Science Workshop (GSW) program. They commit to the position for one academic year, with the possibility of extension.
- Attends a mentor orientation the day before fall quarter begins.
- Prepares for and facilitates his/her assigned group once a week.
- Takes part in a weekly mentor meeting to prepare for each workshop.
- Enrolls in SESP 291 (new mentors only; see Mentor Training below).
- Supports program administration by managing attendance records.
- Participates in program-evaluation activities.
- Contributes to community building within the GSW program.
The GSW program recruits mentors every spring. We look for the following qualities in applicants:
- Solid understanding of subject matter.
- Ability to communicate effectively and help others understand.
- Patience, empathy, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong interest in teaching and a sincere desire to help others.
Potential applicants are invited to apply each spring. Any student who is interested in becoming mentor but does not receive an invitation may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All new GSW and AMP peer mentors receive training through enrolling in SESP 291.