Student mentors play an essential role in the Gateway Science Workshop (GSW) program. They commit to the position for one academic year, with the possibility of extension.
- Attends a mentor orientation the day before fall quarter begins.
- Prepares for and facilitates his/her assigned two-hour workshop once a week.
- Takes part in a weekly mentor meeting to prepare for each workshop.
- Enrolls in SESP 291 (new mentors only; see Mentor Training below).
- Supports program administration by managing attendance records.
- Participates in program-evaluation activities.
- Contributes to community building within the GSW program.
The GSW program recruits mentors every spring. We look for the following qualities in applicants:
- Solid understanding of subject matter.
- Ability to communicate effectively and help others understand.
- Patience, empathy, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong interest in teaching and facilitating group learning.
- Highly responsible.
Potential applicants are invited to apply each spring. Any student who is interested in becoming a mentor but does not receive an invitation may email us at email@example.com.
All new GSW and AMP peer mentors receive training through enrolling in the two-quarter long course SESP 291.