AMP mentors are selected through a competitive process each spring, and occasionally in fall and winter. Just over 25% of those who apply are selected.
We look for mentors with the following characteristics:
- Outstanding ability to communicate effectively and help others understand.
- Solid understanding of subject matter.
- Empathy and understanding of the experience of struggling with difficult course material.
- Above-average interpersonal skills.
- Patience, a strong interest in teaching, and a sincere desire to help others.
All new AMP and GSW peer mentors receive training through enrolling in SESP 291.
Students intersted in serving as an AMP mentor are welcome to complete an application; interviews are by invitation. If you are interested in applying, please contact us.