Student mentors play an essential role in the Academic Mentoring Program (AMP). They commit to the position for one academic year, with the possibility of extension.
- Attends a mentor orientation, typically the day before fall quarter begins.
- Prepares for and facilitates a two-hour session once a week.
- Enrolls in SESP 291 (new mentors only; see Mentor Training below).
- Supports program administration by managing attendance records and providing a weekly session report.
- Participates in program-evaluation activities.
- Contributes to community building within the AMP program.
AMP recruits mentors every spring. We look for the following qualities in applicants:
- Solid understanding of subject matter.
- Outstanding ability to communicate effectively and help others understand.
- Empathy and understanding of the experience of struggling with difficult course material.
- Above-average interpersonal skills.
- Patience, a strong interest in teaching and facilitating group learning, and a sincere desire to help others.
- Highly responsible.
All new GSW and AMP peer mentors receive training through enrolling in the two-quarter course SESP 291.
How to Apply
A call for applicants goes out each spring. Any student who is interested in becoming a mentor but does not receive an invitation may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.