The Searle Center consults with other Northwestern units and other institutions on a wide variety of evaluation and programming projects. Some of these are grant-funded projects.
A sample of our recent projects:
CONSULTING FOR NORTHWESTERN INITIATIVES
- MOOC evaluation: In conjunction with Academic and Research Technologies, the Searle Center is assisting in the development of and conducting an evaluation of the first MOOCs (massive open online courses) to be offered at Northwestern.
- Digital Humanities Project Evaluation: The Center provides evaluation services for Arthur Vining Davis Foundations–funded digital humanities initiatives within the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and the Office of the Provost.
- Teagle Professional Development Workshops: Funded by the Teagle Foundation, the Searle Center is working with The Graduate School and the Department of History to develop and evaluate a series of professional development workshops on teaching and learning for graduate students in history.
- National Institutes of Health T32 Grants Evaluation: The Searle Center conducts evaluations of these doctoral and post-doctoral training grant programs in Cellular and Molecular Basis of Disease (CMBD), Biophysics, Biotechnology, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Endocrinology, Human Cognition, Information Storage, Mechanisms of Aging and Dementia (MAD), and Motor Control and Physical Therapy.
- School of Continuing Studies online programs needs assessment: In 2013, the Searle Center designed and conducted a needs assessment for the online programs offered through the School of Continuing Studies.
- Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) Evaluation: In 2013, the Searle Center evaluated Northwestern's NSF funded Quantum Coherent Optical and Matters Systems program.
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Evaluation: The Searle Center conducts evaluation for Northwestern’s Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) program. Funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, MMUF is a nationwide program that aims to increase diversity among university faculty.
- Study-group design workshops for the Osher Institute: In 2014, the Searle Center ran workshops for 50+ study-group leaders at the Osher Institute for Lifelong Learning, housed in the School of Continuing Studies.
CONSULTING FOR EXTERNAL INSTITUTIONS
- Sierra College Critical Thinking Program: In spring 2013, Searle Center staff provided training for Sierra College and high school faculty to develop curricula that incorporate applied critical thinking. The program was based on the Searle Center’s NSF-funded Critical Thinking Initiative in STEM program.
- Duke University Graduate Training Program Evaluations: The Searle Center has consulted with Duke University from 2013 to 2014 to evaluate 18 graduate traiing programs in the biomedical sciences.
- Palestinian Faculty Development Program National Roundtables on Higher Education. From September 2011 to May 2012, the Searle Center led and trained a team of faculty from Palestinian universities to evaluate a series of 9 day-long roundtables for university administrators and faculty on higher education in Palestine.
- Dominican University Course Evaluation Redesign Project: In 2011, staff from the Searle Center worked with leaders at Dominican University as they redesigned the institution’s course evaluation forms and practices.
- Palestinian Faculty Development Project: In 2010, the Searle Center, along with Portland State University, was awarded a 2-year, $200,000 grant from USAID/AMIDEAST to facilitate development of centers for teaching excellence at An-Najah University and Bethlehem University. In 2014, the Searle Center began consulitng with Palestinian Polytechnical University (PPU) and Palestinian Technical University - Khadoori to develop their teaching centers and consulted on An-Najah's impact analysis of their center.
- City Colleges of Chicago Master Trainer Seminar: In 2007 and 2008 the Searle center designed and implemented a program of Master Trainer workshops on teaching and learning for 64 City Colleges of Chicago faculty.
- City Colleges of Chicago Summer Faculty Workshops: The Searle center conducted an extensive evaluation of 30 Summer Faculty Workshops given by teams of City Colleges of Chicago master trainer faculty over the summers of 2007 and 2008