See Workers’ Compensation Forms for the Supervisor’s Injury or Illness Investigation Report, Employee Accident Statement Form, Witness Accident Statement Form and Omega Clinic Passport.
Review the Evanston Campus Lab Injury Protocol (pdf) for accidents that occur in the lab.
Jump to section:
Department Administrators are directed to instruct their supervisors to use OMEGA for all employees needing work-related medical care during the University workday. Hospital emergency services shall be used only in life-threatening medical situations, e.g. severe chest pains, gun shot wounds, severe burns, hemorrhaging, severe head injuries, open (compound) fractures and other situations which could be considered life threatening. Should life-threatening circumstances occur, call 911. UP will direct the Evanston Fire Department paramedics to the employee for treatment and transportation to the NorthShore University HealthSystem, Evanston Hospital emergency room. Injured employees taken to NorthShore University HealthSystem, Evanston Hospital should identify themselves as Northwestern University OMEGA patients as follow-up care, if needed, will be provided by OMEGA at their Evanston facility.
1. If an employee is injured during work hours (8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday) and medical treatment is required and it is of a non-life-threatening nature, the following procedure is to be followed:
- The injured employee's supervisor is notified of the injury or illness.
- The injured employee's supervisor will notify the Claims Division of the Office of Risk Management of the injury and assist in completion of the Supervisor's Injury or Illness Investigation Report, found on the Workers’ Compensation Forms webpage. The supervisor will also advise the Claims Division of any injury-causing conditions which need to be corrected.
- The Claims Manager will then contact OMEGA to arrange for an appointment for an examination. The Claims Manager will then advise the employee's supervisor of the appointment time and location.
2. All employees receiving either initial or emergency room follow-up treatment at OMEGA will be given a "Duty Status Report" indicating when they may resume their full or modified duties and whether a follow-up visit with the doctor is required. Employees returning to the Evanston Campus from OMEGA will deliver the "Duty Status Report" to the Claims Division at 2020 Ridge Avenue, Suite #240. When the employee is not returning to Evanston, it will be his/her responsibility to see that the "Duty Status Report" is delivered to the Claims Division as soon as possible and that his/her supervisor is notified of his/her work status.
3. If an employee is injured between 5:00 P.M. and 8:30 A.M. or on weekends, and medical treatment is required, the employee should seek such treatment at the NorthShore University HealthSystem, Evanston Hospital emergency room. Upon arrival at the emergency room, employees must identify themselves as Northwestern University OMEGA patients as OMEGA will provide follow-up care, if needed.