Defensive Driving Course
The Defensive Driving Course is a required course to use Motor Pool vehicles or to rent a vehicle using NU insurance. See the University Vehicle page for policy information. Click here for a list of certified drivers.
If you are not a Northwestern University student, staff, or faculty member, but you want to take the course to reduce insurance rates, or are required to due to a traffic citation, please contact the Traffic Safety School.
The Defensive Driving Course is an interactive computer program that covers defensive driving techniques.
- The Defensive Driving Course can be taken Monday through Friday at the Office of Risk Management at the following times: 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- The Office of Risk Management is located at 2020 Ridge Avenue (just north of Foster Street) on the 2nd floor, Suite 240. Individuals must bring a valid driver's license. Individuals are required to have held a valid driver's license for at least two years.
- To register to take the course, call (847) 491-3253 to sign up for a time. The Computer Training certifies an individual to drive NU insured vehicles for 2 years and takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete.
- If you have any questions about the Defensive Driving Course, you can call (847) 491-3253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Defensive Driving Course can also be taken at the Parking Office in Room 100 at Abbot Hall, 710 N. Lake Shore Drive. Contact Linda Stakenas to schedule an appointment at (312) 503-8129 or email@example.com .