Northwestern University Visiting Scholar Plan
All visiting scholars at Northwestern University are required to maintain adequate health insurance coverage as a condition of their approved stay. To facilitate University compliance, the Office of Risk Management has established minimum health insurance requirements for international scholars and their dependents, and for visiting personnel.
Coverage that meets these requirements is offered through the Visiting Scholar Plan. The University self-insures the Plan and the Office of Risk Management provides program administration. BAS LLC is the claims administrator for the Plan.
J-1 exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents must be covered by sickness and accident insurance that meets the Department of State (DOS) requirements for the duration of their participation in a J-1 exchange visitor program. Failure to have such insurance coverage may lead to loss of legal immigration status and termination from the exchange visitor program. These DOS regulations are published in the Code of Federal Regulations [22 CFR 62.14].
Visiting scholars and their spouses and dependents may also be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
Participation in the Visiting Scholar Plan is mandatory for international visiting scholars unless evidence of comparable coverage is presented, and a waiver is filed and approved by the Office of Risk Management. It is the responsibility of the host department to make sure all incoming visitors are adequately insured.
- Plan Information: Overview of policy including benefits, rates, preferred providers, prescription drugs and claims procedure.
- Eligibility: Eligibility information for the Plan.
- Enrollment Process: Enrollment process for individuals and dependents, and what to do in the event of visa-processing delays.
- Billing, Cancellations & Refunds: Information regarding billing procedure, cancellations and refunds.
- Waiver Process: Requirements and procedures to opt out of plan, and information on visa extension requests for benefits-eligible employees
- FAQ & Health Insurance Glossary: Answers to commonly asked questions and definitions of insurance terms.
- Forms: Visiting Scholar forms.