Study/Travel Abroad Health Insurance: Risk Management - Northwestern University

The safety and well being of University employees and students who travel outside the United States for University-related activities is of paramount importance. To best meet the medical needs of those who travel abroad, Northwestern University requires all students participating in international educational activities facilitated, sponsored, endorsed, or administered by the University (including, but not limited to study abroad programs) to obtain health insurance from HTH Worldwide and strongly recommends that faculty and staff do likewise. This comprehensive insurance plan provides $250,000 in medical coverage with no deductibles. In coordination with their partners, Drum Cussac, HTH also provides evacuation services in the event of a medical emergency, natural disaster or civil/political unrest.

Some external study abroad programs require students to purchase HTH's insurance coverage through their program. In those cases where the program requires HTH health insurance, Northwestern students are not required to purchase HTH through Northwestern. See Study Abroad Health Insurance for a list of programs exempt from the NU HTH Worldwide purchase requirement.

Faculty and Staff: Faculty and staff are also eligible to enroll for HTH at the same discounted group rate when traveling on University business. An employee's spouse or children are also eligible, when accompanying an employee traveling on University related business, but at higher rates.

HTH Worldwide offers excellent health coverage for non-University related travel. Click here for further information.