Risk Management Plan:
Risk Management - Northwestern University
All student film productions must fill out a Risk Management Plan (RMP) form. Students must include, but not limit their explanation to, the following information. Northwestern requires this information from the student before the student can obtain film insurance from Northwestern. Upon completing the form, students must E-mail the form to their Advisor/Instructor for approval. However, providing this information is not a guaranty that Northwestern will provide insurance for the film project. Projects considered inherently dangerous will not be covered. Sections 5-16 must be filled out as many times as needed for scene, location, vendor, equipment, and vehicle changes to produce the film.
- Section 1: Provide the name, address, E-mail, and telephone numbers of the principals to the project. At a minimum, this includes the director, producer, and production coordinator.
- Section 2: Northwestern needs the estimated gross production costs of the project. We need this information to develop and explore the availability of outside insurance annually.
- Section 3: Provide Advisor/Instructor's name, address, E-mail, and telephone number, Film Department course name and number or activity name, and Title of the project. Students must submit the RMP to their Advisor/Instructor by E-mail for approval. The Advisor/Instructor, by E-mailing the RMP to Risk Management is acknowledging their approval of the RMP and that all students identified in Section I of the RMP have signed off on the plan and that the students agree to follow the RMP. The Advisor/Instructor's approval also means that a copy of the students' statement of responsibility is on file with the Advisor/Instructor. The Advisor/Instructor shall keep the signed statement of responsibility from each student on file for at least two quarters.
- Section 4: Provide a brief description of the project. Do not provide the complete storyline. Just provide the general description of what the film project will include by location and scene.
- Section 5: Provide the location information for each film location. This includes the location name, address, telephone number, contact/owner's name, and address and telephone number if different. List the dates and times (in and out) when students will be at the location. Also, state if the location requires a written agreement for the use of the location or certificate for the location. Provide copies of the agreements.
- Section 6: For each of the above locations explain each scene's physical action and risks that the students, others, equipment and property could suffer a loss from and what protection measures the students will use. Also, review and discuss what other loss exposures the students, others, equipment and property could be exposed to, including but not limited to traffic, hazardous materials, equipment, machinery, heights, environmental, etc. Explain what loss prevention plans the project will use to control these exposures. Discuss what crime prevention measures will be used.
- Section 7: Provide a list of the students, others, equipment and property that could be at risk when in transit and what protection measures will be used. Explain what crime prevention measures will be used.
- Section 8: Provide a list of the students, others, equipment and property that could be at risk during set-up and what protection measures will be used. Explain what crime prevention measures will be used.
- Section 9: Provide a list of the students, others, equipment and property that could be at risk during actual scene and what protection measures will be used. Explain what crime prevention measures will be used.
- Section 10: Provide a list of the students, others, equipment and property that could be at risk when tearing down and what protection measures will be used. Explain what crime prevention measures will be used.
- Section 11: Provide rental company information for each rental of non-Northwestern equipment or property (non motor vehicle) students will use in the production process. This includes the rental company name, address, telephone number, contact/owner's name. List the dates when and who will pick-up and return the equipment/property. State the values of the equipment/property to be covered. Indicate whether the equipment is loaned or rented and the type of use agreement to be enforced for the project's use of the equipment (provide a copy of any written agreements). Students can use a copy of the rental bid document instead of listing all the equipment. However, students still need to list any risks and controls needed in Sections 6-10.
- Section 12: List any known risks with non-Northwestern equipment or property. Explain what protective measures students will take to avoid any losses. While the equipment/property is in the students' possession, how will the students protect it from theft or other losses?
- Section 13: Provide the information on Northwestern equipment or property (non motor vehicle) the students will use in the production process. List the dates when students will pick-up and return the equipment/property. Also, state the value the equipment/property.
- Section 14: List any known risks with Northwestern equipment or property. Explain what protective measures students will take to avoid any losses. While the equipment/property is in the students' possession, how will the students protect it from theft or other losses?
- Section 15: List all means of transportation the students will use throughout the production process. Describe what and where the students will use the vehicles for and their hours of operation. Students must request special permission to use Northwestern vehicles and rentals between 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. Also, provide information on any commercial airline travel (from, to, where, and when). Northwestern does not cover any private air travel.
- Section 16: When using a personally owned vehicle in the project, the vehicle's insurance coverage is the primary insurance. This would apply to vehicles owned by the students, as well as vehicles that may be loaned to the project by other individuals. List the automobile insurance coverage provided for each vehicle. List the Northwestern approved driver and their driver's license.
RMP Approval and Issuing Certificates of Insurance
The students' Advisor/Instructor will forward the RMP by E-mail to the Office of Risk Management. (For assistance contact Leland Roth:firstname.lastname@example.org ) or fax supporting information to 847-467-7475. Plans not forwarded by the Advisor/Instructor will not be processed. All students identified in Section 1 of the RMP will be contacted by E-Mail and must reply that they sign off on the plan. The students must reply back to Risk Management acknowledging that they have read, understand and agree to adhere to the risk control measures that have been identified in the RMP. Risk Management will contact the students and let them know how much they owe for equipment coverage and when they can pick their certificates of insurance.
Questions should be forwarded to Leland Roth at (847) 491-4334 or email@example.com.