Risk Management - Northwestern University
A department seeking reimbursement for a property loss must follow these steps to have the claim processed:
- Reporting a loss and completing the claim form are departmental responsibilities. The claim must be filed using the University's claim form. No claim will be accepted unless it is reported to the Office of Risk Management within 48 hours of the loss and the Office of Risk Management receives the claim form within 30 days of the loss. The loss must be reported to Leland Roth, Assistant Director of the Office of Risk Management, within 48 hours.
- Theft of University-owned property must be reported to the University Police Department (or police department in whose jurisdiction the theft occurred) immediately to facilitate an investigation of the loss.
- Damaged equipment must be repaired or replaced by the department before any reimbursement to the department can be made. Before equipment can be replaced, a written statement must be provided by an outside service provider stating that the cost of the repair does not warrant repair. It is the department's responsibility to furnish copies of original invoices and/or purchase orders for both the original property that was damaged and for the replacement property.
- Lost equipment must be replaced by the department before any reimbursement to the department can be made. It is the department's responsibility to furnish copies of original invoices and/or purchase orders for both the original property that was lost and for the replacement property.
- Written documentation, photos, and/or damaged items are required for review prior to the settlement of the claim. Failure to provide required documentation within 90 days of the loss will void the claim.