While you are abroad, your first contact should always be the director of your overseas program, as instructed during your orientation. If you are traveling, and/or in a situation where you are not able to reach that person, you should contact the Northwestern Study Abroad Office (847-467-6400) during normal business hours; the University Police (847-491-3254) during off-hours; or International SOS, who will work to meet your needs immediately and will contact the University's on-call staff in the United States while coordinating services with Northwestern.
In order to utilize any of the medical, security or travel services listed in Plan Information, contact an SOS Alarm Center from anywhere in the world by calling directly, calling collect, or by calling the toll-free number. While SOS has designated the Philadelphia center in the United States as its primary contact, any of the SOS alarm centers will assist you.
24-Hour Alarm Centers
If calling from the US, Mexico, Central or South America:
- Philadelphia, PA
24 hours: 1-215-942-8226 (call collect where available)
Within U.S.A. call: 1-800-523-6586
If calling from Europe, CIS, Africa or the Middle East:
- London, England
24 hours: 44-20-8762-8008 (call collect where available)
If calling from Asia, Australia or the Pacific Rim:
24 hours: 65-6338-7800 (call collect where available)
Additional Alarm Center and Clinic contact information can be found on the SOS website.
To ensure a prompt response when calling, you should be prepared to provide the following:
- Your name, location, age, sex, and nationality
- The program with which you are associated
- Your International SOS membership number: 11BCAS000003
- The telephone number from which you are calling (in case you are disconnected)
- Name, location, and telephone number of the hospital or clinic (when applicable)
- Name, location, and telephone number for the treating doctor, and where the doctor can be reached (when applicable)