Hire A Wildcat

Undergraduate Students

Northwestern University proudly enrolls close to 9,000 undergraduate students annually. Within our undergraduate programs are students studying art, theatre, communication, education, social policy, economics, science, music, liberal arts, engineering, pre-health programs and more. We encourage local, national and international companies eager to hire Northwestern undergraduate students for internships, short-term projects and entry-level positions to reach out to our diverse schools and our career services offices.

Want to learn what our recent grads are up to? Each year, we poll graduating seniors on post-college career plans. See the University Career Services site for key findings and summary highlights. It includes information on salary, job titles and geographic distribution.

Graduate Students

Northwestern boasts approximately 3,000 doctoral candidates and 800 master’s students prepared for a broad range of career options. Successful recruitment approaches for advanced-degree candidates may differ from undergraduate students. We can help you develop a strategy like connecting directly to academic departments to attract students from particular areas of study.


Look to Northwestern also to fill entry-level to experienced positions by recruiting our talented alumni. We recommend starting this process by contacting University Career Services Office to take advantage of their career networks and posting opportunities for NU alumni. We also recommend visiting the Northwestern Alumni Association Website.

Northwestern Diversity

The University is deeply committed to broad inclusion on campus encompassing age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, and more. For more information on hiring diverse candidates, please contact Jose Santos, Assistant Director, Liberal Arts and Diversity Outreach Coordinator at jose-santos@northwestern.edu.

Hiring International Students

There are close to 3,000 International students at Northwestern University pdf icon (.pdf) and they are often strong candidates for internship and full-time work opportunities in the U.S. Getting permission for international students to work in the U.S. is not as difficult as many employers think. Most international students are in the U.S. on non-immigrant student visas (F-1 and J-1), and these international students are eligible to accept employment under certain conditions.

Practical training for F-1 students

Practical training is a legal means by which F-1 students can obtain employment in areas related to their academic field of study. Students, in general, must have completed one academic year in F-1 status and must maintain their F-1 status to be eligible for practical training. There are two types of practical training:

  • Optional Practical Training
  • Curricular Practical Training 

Optional Practical Training (OPT) must be authorized by the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) based on a recommendation from the designated school official. The term "optional" means that students can opt to use all or part of their total practical training allotment of a maximum of 12 months. OPT can be authorized by the CIS: (1) during vacation when school is not in session- full time employment is allowed; (2) for part-time work, a maximum of 20 hours per week, while school is in session;(3) after completing all course requirements for the degree; or (4) full-time after completion of the course of study.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) may be authorized by the institution (Not by CIS) for F-1 students participating in curricular-related employment such as cooperative education, work study, practicum and internship programs. International students on F-1 visas are eligible for both curricular practical training before finishing their studies, as well as 12 months of OPT. However, students who work full-time on curricular practical training for one year or more are not eligible for OPT. Those engaging in OPT prior to graduation may work for a maximum of 20 hours per week during their school term and 40 hours during their break period.

Academic training for J-1 students

Exchange students enter the U.S. on a J-1 visa. Practical training is called "academic training" for J-1 visa students. International students on J-1 visas are eligible for up to 18 months of academic training. Post-doctoral students are permitted three years. Some J-1 program participants are also allowed to work part-time during the academic program.

What is the cost and paperwork for the employers?

The only cost to the employer hiring international students is the time and effort to interview and select the best candidate for the job. Fortunately, there is minimal paperwork for an employer who hires F-1 or J-1 students for OPT, CPT, or academic training. All paperwork is handled by the students, the school, and CIS.

What about taxes?

Unless exempted by a tax treaty, F-1 and J-1 students earning income under practical training are subject to applicable, federal, state, and local income taxes.

Don't international students need work authorization before I can hire them?
No. International students must have the work authorization before they begin actual employment, but not before they are offered employment. H1-B Visa

The H-1B visa is a temporary employment status that allows an employer to employ a foreign worker in a specialty occupation in the U.S. Keep in mind the following:

  • The employer must file the H-1B petition on behalf of the student.
  • The employer determines the length of the H-1B status. 
  • The employer may petition up to six-months in advance of the intended start date. 
Current immigration regulation limits the number of H-1B visas available each year. Applications for positions in private industry become available on April 1 each year, and if awarded, H-1B status becomes effective October 1 of the same year. For more information visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Northwestern University