Chicago Collaboration for Women in STEM
What is the Collaboration?
Northwestern University and the University of Chicago entered into a three-year partnership for the advancement of women faculty in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines at our institutions. The partnership has been renewed for an additional three years through 2016-17. Through joint programs and research projects, we aim to:
- identify local obstacles our women faculty see to success in the sciences
- encourage women to be deliberate and purposeful in planning their careers
- open women’s eyes to leadership possibilities
- create and expand women’s networks
- develop model programs and policies for the academy
Report on Climate in Biological and Physical Sciences Departments
A key component of the Collaboration has been an extensive study conducted by the National Opinion Research Center (NORC), including in-person interviews with faculty members in the biological and physical sciences at Northwestern University and the University of Chicago. The NORC inquiry provides an important window into the culture in our departments and across our campus, and highlights opportunities for us to work together to enhance the work and lives of all our faculty. You may download the summary report HERE.
- We are pleased to announce the launch of a new research networking portal geared specifically toward women faculty in the STEM fields at Northwestern University, University of Chicago, and Argonne and Fermi national labs. Developed in collaboration with the Elsevier Foundation and publicly accessible, this portal provides an easily searchable database to quickly identify opportunities for collaboration with women faculty and scientists in the Chicago region.
- Planning is underway for the third 1 1/2 day Career Development and Leadership Retreat. This year's retreat will provide interactive sessions on a variety of topics, including The Art and Science of Confronting Bias, The Communication Factor of Leadership, and much more. Attendance at this retreat is by invitation only.
Learn More About the Collaboration
Follow our events and learn more about our initiatives on our web site: http://womeninstem.drupalgardens.com/