Guide for New Faculty

Getting Started
Creating a Human Resources Record Library Services
Completing the Employment Eligibility Form (I9) Ordering Textbooks
Obtaining Your WildCARD Housing
Setting Up Your NetID and Email Assistance with Home Purchase
Benefits Enrollment First Northern Credit Union
University Directory, Address and Name Change Employment Assistance for Faculty Spouses/Partners
Campus Maps and Parking Options Family-Friendly Benefits
Other Campus Transportation Options International Faculty
Airport Transportation Ethics and Compliance
Getting Connected
Faculty Senate and University Committees Residential Colleges Program
Campus Newspapers Office of Fellowships
PlanIt Purple Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching
Lawrence B. Dumas Domain Dinners Services for Students with Disabilities
University Circle Dealing with Student Problems
Organization of Women Faculty Research Support
Phi Beta Kappa Corporate Relations/Foundation Relations
Demographics on Undergraduate Students Information Technology and Computing
University Service and Activities
Food Services on Campus Campus Fitness and Recreational Facilities
University Services Musical Activities
Travel Services Northwestern Theatre Tickets
Facilities Management Athletics Tickets
Recycling and Sustainability
City Information
Area Schools Driver’s License and License Plates
Cultural Events Vehicle Registration
Public Transportation

Users are urged to consult the relevant offices to confirm the information provided in this Guide.

I. Getting Started

Creating a Human Resources Record

Your first step on campus should be to complete the steps necessary to establish a record for yourself in the Faculty and Staff Information System (FASIS).  To be entered into FASIS, you must complete the following documents: 1) a Personal Data Form with your demographic information; 2) your personal W-4 tax forms; and 3) the Employment Eligibility Form (I-9).  Your department will submit these forms, along with your Position Appointment form, to the Payroll Office.  It will take anywhere from 48 to 72 hours for the Payroll Office to review your submitted forms and enter you into the FASIS system. At the beginning of the academic year, due to the extremely high volume of paperwork being processed by the Payroll Office, this process may take up to a week to complete.  To help reduce this delay some schools may provide the necessary Personal Data and W4 Forms for the faculty member to complete well before the start of the academic year.  The sooner you complete the forms and return them to your department or school, the sooner your information can be sent to Payroll and entered. For additional information and links to the forms, visit the Human Resources website.

Completing the Employment Eligibility Form (I9)

To comply with Federal law, Northwestern University participates in E-Verify. All newly hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to verify their identity and employment eligibility.

No later than the first day you will start being paid on Northwestern University’s payroll system, you must complete the Employment Eligibility Form I-9. This can be completed from any computer.  By no later than the end of the third day you must complete Section 2 of the I-9.  This can be completed in your department or the Payroll Office. If you will not be on campus on or before your first day of pay, then you must go through the remote agent verification process. Full instructions can be found on the New Employee Quick Sheet

When completing the I9 process, you must bring identification to establish your identity and verify that you are eligible to work in the United States.  The most common acceptable documents for U.S. persons are a U.S. Passport or Driver’s license and Social Security card.  See the acceptable document list for more information.

The I9 Form should be completed as soon as possible after you arrive on campus; failure to complete the form will not delay the entry into FASIS but it will prevent you from receiving your paycheck. Visit the HR website for additional information on the I9 process and requirements.

Obtaining Your WildCARD

Once your FASIS record is established you may obtain your campus WildCARD, the official Northwestern photo identification card. This campus ID card can be used to gain entrance to University facilities and events; use the university shuttle service; check out library materials; purchase food through a University meal plan, and much more. Additionally, U.S. Bank checking account holders can use their WildCARD as their ATM/debit card. Spouses or domestic partners of faculty can obtain a campus WildCARD for a nominal fee of $10. 

Many area businesses offer discounts to card holders through the WildCARD Advantage Program. Discounts and services vary.

Back to top

Setting Up Your NetID and E-Mail

All members of the University community are provided with Northwestern e-mail accounts. In order to establish this account, you must first be entered into the Faculty and Staff Information System (FASIS). After a record of employment has been entered in FASIS, a NetID (Network Identifier) will be assigned to you.

Your NetID is your electronic identity at Northwestern. Many networked University resources are associated with it, including e-mail and the online university directory. When your NetID has been created, you will be notified and will receive instructions about how to activate it. You can activate your NetID from your own computer up to 90 days before your official start date. Once your NetID is activated, you can instantly access your University e-mail within Northwestern’s Outlook Web Application, which requires no setup and is a secure and easy way to check your e-mail from anywhere.

Benefits Enrollment

It is very important that faculty members who wish to participate in Northwestern benefits plans enroll promptly. Participation in the University’s benefits plans requires that a new faculty member complete the enrollment process within 31 days of hire or benefits eligibility. Thus, a faculty member with an appointment beginning September 1 must complete the enrollment process no later than October 1. This process may be completed online using the University’s FASIS Self Service online enrollment system. Enrolling online as early as possible will allow time for the insurance companies to process your enrollment and issue membership ID cards.

Failure to complete the enrollment process by the stated deadline may necessitate the postponement of the coverage date until the following January and/or proof of qualification for insurance (as through a medical examination) for the life, long term care, and disability plans during the Fall Open Enrollment period. You can complete the online enrollment process as soon as you have an active University NetID and password.

You may obtain benefit plan information, online enrollment instructions, a link to the FASIS Self Service site, and the secondary enrollment step forms from the Benefits Division webpage on the HR website. Or, obtain them in Evanston from the Benefits Division (720 University Place, 2nd floor), or the Chicago Campus Human Resources Office (710 N. Lake Shore Drive, Abbott Hall, Room 150).

University Directory, Address and Name Changes

The University's online directory provides contact information for all Northwestern students, faculty and staff.  It will display the job title, department name, office address, phone numbers, and e-mail address for every faculty member. Each faculty member may also opt to include their home address and telephone number as well as the name of a spouse/partner. Faculty holding multiple appointments can elect to list multiple departments and one location for campus mail deliveries. 

In early October, faculty members are reminded via e-mail to update their directory information through the FASIS Self Service module. Unless you update this information in FASIS, the information from your most recent Personal Data Form, which may be out-of-date, will appear in the Online Directory.

Once you have established an e-mail account you should check your own data, as the directory is one of the principal tools your colleagues and students will use to contact you.  See the edit page and review your entry. If your name, title, department, office address, or office phone number is incorrect, please access FASIS. Sign in using your NetID and password and click on the link called “Online Directory” to update this information. Some changes, such as to your academic rank, department title, etc. must be made by your school authorities; please contact your department chair to request changes to this information.

To change your home address: sign in to FASIS using your NetID and password. Click on the link under My Personal Information for Address Change. It is particularly important that you maintain current records with Human Resources because the address that is on file in FASIS is the address to which your W-2 form will be mailed.

If your professional or published name differs from your legal name: please be sure that Human Resources also has a record of your professional/published name. To update this information go to the self-service link in FASIS, and sign in using your NetID and password.

To enter your Emergency Contact Information: Go to the “Emergency Contacts” page located in Personal Information folder. The emergency contact number will be used for contacting a close relative/friend if needed in an emergency. Please note that all of your phone numbers (not that of your emergency contact) and emails in the system are provided to Northwestern’s emergency notification system. In the event of an emergency or disaster on campus, we will call, text and/or send e-mail notifications to the phone number(s) and e-mail address(es) in the system.

Back to top

Campus Maps and Parking Options

Chicago and Evanston campus maps are available on the Northwestern website. Maps for specific buildings and departments can also be found on the University Department/Office Directory.

Evanston Campus Parking

The Evanston Campus Parking Office at 1819 Hinman Avenue administers parking registration for the Evanston campus. A current Northwestern parking permit is required to park on the Evanston campus from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. Parking permit restrictions are not enforced in most lots after 4:00 p.m. 

Since daytime parking is limited in Evanston, faculty, staff, and students who live close to campus may not use campus parking.  Evanston faculty must reside outside the Walking Zone to be eligible for an Evanston campus parking permit.  Specifically, one must reside north of Central Street, west of Ridge Avenue from Central to Emerson, west of the Metra tracks from Emerson to Lake, or south of Lake Street to be eligible for a permit. The Parking Office uses the official address of the building to establish residence. 

In order to obtain a parking permit you will be required to present a WildCARD and a valid driver's license. If your WildCARD has not yet been received (see the above section on How to Obtain a WildCARD), you can present a memo or letter from the department explaining that you are a new faculty member with a WildCARD pending, and you will be issued a temporary parking permit. Parking Office personnel may request additional documentation as necessary to verify address, affiliation and vehicle ownership. Parking permits are non-transferable.

In 2012-13, a full-year faculty parking permit cost $510.00 and a part-time permit cost $327.00. In addition, a $25 permit is available which allows the holder to park at the Ryan Field lot (located at Central Street and Ashland Avenue) during the day and take a free shuttle bus service to the main campus (see the section on the Evanston Parking Shuttle). 

Parking is paid through a pre-tax payroll deduction only.  The cost of the permit is divided into twelve pro-rated equal installments.

Faculty should always check with the Evanston Campus Parking Office to verify current rates and procedures for obtaining permits.

Chicago Campus Parking

University Services administers parking permits for the Chicago campus. Annual parking is from October 1 through September 30 of the following year and the annual parking permits go on sale the first working day after Labor Day each year.

To qualify for Northwestern University's subsidized parking, you must meet the following criteria:

  • At least 50 percent of your salary must be drawn from the University via a NU paycheck
  • Must live outside of the designated boundaries of the Chicago campus (Halsted Street on the west, North Ave on the north and Congress Pkwy on the south)
  • Must be approved for parking privileges through the department/school space allocation process

At the NU Parking Office, you must supply a valid driver's license and a current vehicle registration card for your vehicle. You may pay for your parking through pre-tax payroll deductions.

Parking fees for faculty and staff are structured on a tiered basis and determined by annual salary (include NU, NMFF, NMH and RIC salaries). In 2012-2013, annual tiered rates for commuter parking in one of the four Chicago campus lots or garages ranged from $726 to $2,922. Check the parking website for current rates.

In addition to annual commuter perking permits, evening and weekend permit options are also available. Evanston faculty who have a valid Evanston campus full-time parking permit and are teaching evening classes on the Chicago campus may purchase the Chicago evening/weekend parking permit at a reduced rate each quarter.

Faculty should always check with the Chicago Campus Parking Office to verify current rates, eligibility and application procedures.

Back to top

Other Campus Transportation Options

Intercampus Shuttle: University Services provides a shuttle that runs from early morning into late evening between the Chicago and Evanston campuses Monday through Friday (except for University holidays). The shuttle schedule and pick up/drop off locations are listed on the University Services website. There is no charge for the shuttle service for anyone displaying an active WildCARD (including spouses/partners). Travel time between campuses varies upon time of day. Please present your WildCARD when boarding the shuttle. Expired ID cards are not accepted. Contact University Services at 312-503-8129 or via email at with questions or for further information.

Evanston Ryan Field Shuttle: To encourage people to use the off- campus Ryan Field parking lot during the academic year, University Services provides a shuttle linking the north and south ends of the Evanston campus. Except for University holidays, this shuttle runs between Ryan Field and several points on campus, Monday through Friday, between early morning and mid-evening. This bus does not operate during summer break, but employees with Ryan Field parking permits are allowed to park in the commuter lots on campus during the summer. Anyone with a WildCARD (including spouses/partners) can use this shuttle; there is no charge for this service. Contact University Services at 312-503-8129 or via email at with questions or for further information. 

Chicago Shuttle Services: The Chicago campus train station shuttle runs in the morning and afternoon between Northwestern Memorial Hospital and various Metra stations in the downtown area, including at Union Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center. Only Northwestern faculty, staff and students are eligible to ride this shuttle. The Chicago campus train station shuttle runs in the morning and afternoon between Northwestern Memorial Hospital and various Metra stations in the downtown area, including at Union Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center. Only Northwestern faculty, staff and students are eligible to ride this shuttle. Tickets are not sold to the general public. The shuttles run approximately every 10 to 15 minutes, but delays may be caused by heavy traffic or special events which often take place on Friday afternoon. At the time of printing, the shuttle costs $15 for ten rides or $37 for a monthly pass. Tickets may be purchased via payroll deduction (for monthly passes) or at four different locations on the Chicago campus. If you need to travel between the Lurie Children’s Hospital on the Chicago campus and the Outpatient or Research Center in Lincoln Park, there is a shuttle service that runs approximately every 20 minutes, Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.  The shuttle runs from Lurie at the southeast (Superior Street) corner of the main hospital driveway and drops off curbside at 2430 N. Halsted Street. This shuttle is operated by Lurie Children's Hospital. It is not an NU shuttle, but it is open to members of the NU community. More information is available on the Lurie Children's Hospital Shuttle webpage.

Pace Rideshare ProgramNorthwestern University, in conjunction with PACE, now offers a rideshare program for all full-time faculty and staff. Carpooling is an economical, convenient and environmentally friendly way to commute to work. Full-time Northwestern faculty who plan on carpooling at least three times a week and live outside the parking boundaries for their campus are eligible for the program (Boundaries - Chicago: North of North Ave., West of Halsted and South of Congress.  Evanston: North of Central, West of Ridge and South of Lake). Northwestern has also created an Emergency Ride Home Program (ERH) for registered PACE Rideshare participants from NU in the event of a personal and urgent emergency. Qualified ERH reimbursements will cover taxi rides and single Metra, Pace, or CTA tickets home. 

Bike to Work: Riding a bicycle to work is a commuting option that can have economic, environmental, and health benefits. Northwestern offers many services and resources for bicycle riders. All University shuttle buses are equipped with bike racks. Kryptonite brand locks available for purchase at cost through the University Police. University Police also provides Bicycle Security Tips as well as free, online bicycle registration for the campus community.

Back to top

Airport Transportation

See the University Services website for information about transportation services to and from the two Chicagoland airports, O'Hare International and Midway Airports, for use by faculty, staff, and students. Faculty should plan ahead to find out the current prices, reservation and cancellation policies, and holiday schedules.

Library Services

With over 4.6 million volumes, 4.5 million microforms, and over 45,000 current periodicals and serials, Northwestern University Library’s rich and diverse collection ranks 11th among the nation’s private universities. The Northwestern University Library system includes the

Your Wildcard gives you access to all of these libraries, as well as to the United Library on the Evanston campus, the theological library of the Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary and an affiliate library of Northwestern University.

Library services for faculty can be found on Northwestern University Library’s website.

Back to top

Ordering Texbooks

Northwestern University has partnered with Faculty Enlight, an online content search, discovery and adoption website that allows faculty to research and adopt textbooks in one convenient place. Faculty teaching courses on both campuses may register and order textbooks through this site.

The Evanston bookstore is located in the Norris University Center in Evanston, 1999 Campus Drive. They may be reached using an online contact form or by phone at (847) 491 3990.

On the Chicago campus, the University Bookstore at Abbott Hall, located at 710 N. Lake Shore Drive, handles book orders for the medical and law schools as well as the part-time Kellogg School of Management and the School of Continuing Studies classes taking place in Chicago. They may be reached using an online contact form or by phone at (312) 503-8486.


On the Evanston campus, the University maintains several apartment buildings and single family homes that are available to in-coming faculty relocating from outside of the Chicago area. The maximum rental is generally for one year. Units are unfurnished and contain one, two, and three bedrooms with rents at market rates. Persons interested in receiving information and applications for rentals should email Ms. Samantha Mathis, Assistant Property Manager in Facilities Management at or contact her via phone at (847) 467-3555. 

The Office of the Provost maintains a Housing Forum where faculty can post and browse available housing, both for rent and for sale, long-term and short-term.

Though designed primarily to assist students, the Living Off-Campus Office, located in the lower level of Scott Hall, 601 University Place, may be able to provide some assistance to faculty in finding apartments and houses for rent and for purchase.

Other excellent sources to search for rental properties or temporary housing in the Evanston area include:

Back to top

Assistance with Home Purchase

Through the University's local designated preferred banking vendors for mortgage services, loan transactions are available at preferential interest rates on primary mortgages for both tenure-track and non-tenure track faculty members. There is also some discounting on interest rate for bridge loans. Some fees such as the application fee will be waived to the faculty member. The faculty member is responsible for down payment and closing costs and must meet normal bank loan underwriting approval. For information on relocation, see the HR Relocation Resources webpage.

The bank contacts are:

More information and resources regarding home purchase may be found in the Deans’ offices of individual schools. Additionally, for specific information about home purchase assistance or relocation assistance in general, please call Ms. Janie Savage, Assistant to Northwestern's Senior Vice President for Business and Finance at 847-491-5534, or Ms. Lori Anne Henderson, Director of Work & Life Resources, HR at 847-491-3612.

Back to top

First Northern Credit Union 

First Northern Credit Union (FNCU) is a not-for-profit financial cooperative owned and operated by its members.  Because there are no outside stockholders, members earn higher dividends on savings, pay lower rates on loans, and appreciate reduced or eliminated fees, as well as superior service.

First Northern provides services to all Northwestern University employees and students.  Savings, checking, money market accounts, Visa® credit and debit cards, home equity loans, first mortgages, vehicle loans, automatic payroll deductions, mobile banking, online banking and bill pay, and more are available.  All accounts are federally insured up to $250,000―with a separate coverage up to $250,000 for Individual Retirement Accounts ― and additional private share insurance up to $250,000 through Excess Share Insurance. 

FNCU has branch locations conveniently located on the Evanston and Chicago campuses.  The Evanston Branch is at 726 Clark Street.  The Chicago Streeterville Branch is at 541 N. Fairbanks Court, Suite 120. First Northern Credit Union offers over 71,000 surcharge-free ATMs nationwide. They also offer over 6,800 Shared Branching locations, allowing free access to a group of credit unions around the world through which you can conduct your financial transactions.

Employment Assistance for Faculty Spouses/Partners

Northwestern's University Career Services (UCS) helps NU students and alumni identify and successfully pursue individual career goals.  UCS offers career assistance to faculty spouses/partners to help them become familiar with available career resources and/or arrange a courtesy appointment with an appropriate career specialist.  In addition, spouses/partners of faculty may use Career Search, an online service with which the University has contracted.  Career Search is a powerful online employment research tool with a database of more than 1.5 million employers from every major sector of the business and academic worlds.  Please note that Career Search provides information on organizations and companies, not a listing of specific job openings.   

For assistance, please have your academic department office email the Executive Director of University Career Services, Lonnie Dunlap at to request arrangements on your behalf.    

Northwestern has also partnered with the Greater Chicago Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (GCM HERC), which includes other area educational institutions such as the University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago, Argonne, and Fermilab. Through the sharing of information and resources, the GCM HERC supports its member institutions in attracting outstanding faculty, administrators, and staff, with a particular focus on assisting dual-career couples. GCM HERC contains a web-based search engine that includes listings for both faculty and staff jobs at all member institutions and is available at no charge to anyone seeking employment in higher education.

Back to top

Family Friendly Benefits

The Office of Work/Life Resources, a division of the Office of Human Resources, has a wide range of programming available to assist faculty with a diverse array of family and personal needs including childcare, eldercare, family leaves, relocation, the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program and more.

International Faculty

The International Office assists international faculty, visitors and dependents on matters pertaining to their nonimmigrant and immigrant status. All new international faculty members (tenure eligible, non-visiting and visiting) should take a few moments to familiarize themselves with the International Office (IO) website for a comprehensive listing of requirements and resources. 

It is imperative that new faculty who are not U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents maintain the proper nonimmigrant status to be permitted to work in the United States. Maintenance of status and eligibility to work in the United States is the faculty member's responsibility and not that of Northwestern University. 

The Community Council for International Students (CCIS) is a volunteer group that works with the International Office to provide programs for international scholars and students and their families.  These programs include Foster Relatives, the International American Women's Group, a playgroup for children, a one-on-one English conversation program, and an English Class for Spouses.

Ethics and Compliance

Northwestern University has a strong commitment to ethics and compliance.  The University's Standards for Business Conduct provides a framework for administering University resources and establishes guidelines for acceptable standards of behavior.

If you have concerns about your compliance, please speak to your department chair, dean, or central administration personnel to solicit their support and help. However, if you feel uncomfortable discussing any matter with your colleague or department chair, go to the University’s ethics and compliance website. On this website you will find links to University policies and contact information for any questions about these policies.

In addition to these resources, Northwestern has selected EthicsPoint to provide you with a simple way to report activities that may involve misconduct or violations of University policy. EthicsPoint is a phone- and web-based resource available to faculty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  It is contracted by the University to provide specially trained personnel to receive all phone- and web-based reports. For complete information regarding EthicsPoint, visit the University’s ethics and compliance website.

Back to top

II. Getting Connected

Faculty Senate and University Committees

The Faculty Senate is the elected and representative body of the faculty. It considers, makes recommendations, and passes resolutions concerning matters of general university interest, including educational and research endeavors; hiring policy; the tenure and promotion system; and campus life. The Faculty Senate will strive to protect academic freedom, promote excellence, equity, and diversity within the faculty and student body, and advance the general welfare of the university as a whole. On its own initiative it may submit recommendations and resolutions to the Board of Trustees, transmitted through the Provost and President, on any matter affecting the interests of the University. The 2012-13 chair of the Faculty Senate is Babette Sanders,

Each year the President and Provost appoint faculty members to various committees (often including students and staff as well as faculty) that advise the University administration on various matters.  Should you be interested in serving on such committees, contact the chair of the Faculty Senate, Babette Sanders at

Back to top

Campus Newspapers

The Daily Northwestern is published Monday -- Friday during the academic year. Since 1881, this award-winning student publication has been one of the nation's most respected college newspapers and is delivered free of charge to more than 50 locations around NU's Evanston and Chicago campuses. Classified advertising in The Daily Northwestern is an effective way to connect with students for part-time child care, work study help, research assistants or sublets.  For additional information, call (847) 491-7206.

The Department of University Relations is the official producer of Northwestern News, showcased on Northwestern’s home page and on the NewsCenter, updated daily. The news is also distributed by email twice weekly to the Northwestern community. Often accompanied with audio and video, the features cover a diverse range of subjects, from major research to acclaimed theater productions and a variety of other events to administrative announcements and faculty honors. For more information, contact the internal communications editor at (847) 491-4893 or

Planit Purple

PlanIt Purple is Northwestern University’s centralized online events listing. The University community is the listing's primary audience, but it is also viewable by the general public. Users can display events on PlanIt Purple according to their date, general location, sponsoring group, or event type. University departments and offices can post their events and use the database of events to create their own public listing. For more information, email: or call (847) 491-4870.

Lawrence B. Dumas Domain Dinners

The Lawrence B. Dumas Domain Dinner Program is designed to stimulate faculty interactions across departments and disciplines and to highlight Northwestern's distinctive interdisciplinarity.  These events, featuring Northwestern faculty and senior lecturers, consist of a program followed by dinner, and provide the opportunity for faculty from both the Chicago and the Evanston campuses to gather in a relaxed environment for intellectual discourse. There is no charge for these dinners.  

All tenured, tenure-line and senior lecturer faculty members are sent electronically an invitation to each dinner. Other faculty who would like to be included on the invitation list should contact Julie Johnson in the Office of Administration and Planning.

Back to top

University Circle

The mission of University Circle is to provide opportunities for Northwestern University women to participate in service, scholarship and social activities that enhance the University community. An annual membership is $25 and is open to all women affiliated with the University including faculty, staff, students and spouses.

In addition to hosting special events throughout the year, University Circle organizes interest groups and special programs so members can explore and share interests. Several groups focus on community service for Children's Hospital and the Rehabilitation Institute. Another interest group supports the Northwestern University Settlement House, a privately-funded association that helps inner city residents obtain food, clothing, shelter and education. Other groups gather for sports, meet to practice foreign language conversation skills, discuss books and plays, visit ethnic restaurants, quilt, or go antiquing.

University Circle also represents Northwestern in the biennial Conference of Big Ten University Women's Organizations and funds an annual scholarship for University employees taking graduate courses through the School of Continuing Studies to further career opportunities. For further information send an e-mail to

Organization of Women Faculty

The Organization of Women Faculty (OWF) was founded in 1981 to improve the status and working conditions of women faculty at Northwestern as well as to provide a forum for intellectual and personal exchanges. The organization is concerned with all issues affecting women faculty members within the University community. 

You may also contact the Director of the Northwestern University Women's Center, Renée Redd, at (847) 491-2733.

Phi Beta Kappa

Faculty members who have been elected to Phi Beta Kappa are strongly encouraged to affiliate themselves with Northwestern’s chapter. For more information, please contact the chapter’s President, Jared Wunsch or Secretary, Liz Trubey.

Back to top

Demographics on Undergraduate Students

You may be interested in learning a bit about the backgrounds of the students who enroll at Northwestern as undergraduates. The University participates in a national survey of incoming students. The most recent data from this survey can be found on the Administration & Planning website.

Residential Colleges Program

On the Evanston campus, the Residential Colleges Program offers a venue for informal interaction between undergraduate students and faculty.  Faculty affiliating with one of the colleges are designated Fellows of those colleges, have the opportunity to get to know faculty and students across disciplines, are invited to take meals with students in the colleges, and participate in residential college-sponsored events on-and off-campus throughout the academic year. The 11 residential colleges include multi-thematic colleges as well as colleges focusing on such topics such as public affairs, commerce and industry, humanities, and international studies. 

Faculty interested in affiliating with a residential college are welcome to contact the Director of Residential Academic Initiatives, Brad Zakarin, at or by phone at (847) 467-1362.

Office of Fellowships

The Office of Fellowships identifies and prepares outstanding students for national fellowship competitions such as Rhodes, Marshall, Gates Cambridge, Mitchell, Fulbright, Luce, and National Science Foundation. To help students locate appropriate fellowships, the Office maintains an extensive website, offers fellowships-specific workshops throughout the academic year, and holds general informational sessions every Thursday in the 1940 Sheridan conference room.

The Office depends upon strong faculty support. Faculty members, especially those who have held fellowships such as the ones listed above, are invited to contact Director Sara Anson Vaux at or one of the Associate Directors: Elizabeth Pardoe at, Stephen Hill at, or Amy Kehoe at

Back to top

Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching

Since its founding in September 1992, the Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching has supported teaching and fostering student learning in the undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools. Programs and services are available for faculty, graduate students who teach, as well as undergraduate peer mentors in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) disciplines.

The Center provides opportunities to faculty to engage with the research, scholarship, practical skills, innovations, and practices of teaching and learning in higher education. A comprehensive series of programs and events are designed to accommodate a wide range of interests and schedules. Faculty may participate in lunchtime discussions or join monthly workshops addressing a multitude of teaching issues.

The Searle Center also conducts an annual all-day New Faculty Workshop to welcome new faculty into the teaching community at Northwestern. This highly interactive session touches on many topics related to teaching and learning, including Enhancing Student Engagement, Course Design, Teaching Methods, and Assessment & Evaluation of Learning. Registration is required.

In addition to these various programs, the Searle Center offers a range of resources and services to help faculty find answers to their questions about teaching and learning. The Center houses the Robert Menges Memorial Library, an extensive collection of books, articles and videotapes on teaching and learning in higher education which can be accessed online through the Center's website. You can contact the Center at (847) 467‑2338 or

Services for Students with Disabilities

It is Northwestern University policy to ensure that no qualified student with a disability is denied the benefits of, excluded from participation in, or otherwise subjected to discrimination in any University program or activity. In response to a request made by a qualified student with a documented disability, Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) will arrange for the provision of academic accommodations and auxiliary aids determined by SSD to be necessary to afford the opportunity for full participation in University programs.

Students who have been determined eligible for classroom accommodations are advised by SSD to present notification from the SSD office to their instructors and to discuss accommodation needs. Faculty are encouraged to contact SSD at (847) 467-5530 or with any questions pertaining to academic accommodations. See the SSD Faculty page for more information. A list of Frequently Asked Questions is also available as a resource for faculty.

Dealing with Student Problems

Faculty members who have a question or a problem concerning a student are encouraged to consult with the Dean of Students Office at (847) 491-8430 or This includes issues that might arise involving dangerous, disruptive, or troubled students. The office will work to help resolve the problem or refer you to someone who can.

Additional information about the various services offered can be found on the Division of Student Affairs website.

Back to top

Research Support

The Office for Research promotes, facilitates, and enhances research at Northwestern University. The Office supports Northwestern faculty in building and maintaining excellent research programs and ensures that the research infrastructure is robust and responsive to the expanding and ever-changing needs of Northwestern investigators.

The units within the Office for Research maintain websites that provide up-to-date information specific to their missions. Because regulations and procedures governing both the conduct of research and research administration undergo continual change, internally and externally, the websites listed on the Office for Research Administrative Offices page are updated regularly to reflect these changes.

Corporate Relations and Foundation Relations

Corporate Relations

The Office of Corporate Relations serves as a gateway for the corporate community to all academic areas of Northwestern. The Office of Corporate Relations works with companies to create customized, strategic initiatives that support both corporate and University goals. In that role, the office works with faculty and administrators to facilitate philanthropic support, industry-sponsored research, mentoring, student placements, executive education, and other forms of corporate engagement.

Faculty members should contact Corporate Relations if they are interested in engaging with a company, or if a company has contacted them directly.  Corporate Relations team members are available to discuss how to find and utilize corporate interests in your area. 

To best match University and corporate priorities, OCR collects funding and engagement needs from faculty and deans and then presents these options to corporate strategic partners as opportunities arise.

Foundation Relations

The Office of Foundation Relations is Northwestern's central office in support of fundraising from private professional foundations. Foundation Relations' primary role is to manage and monitor relationships with private foundations to advance the University's goals and priorities. The office is responsible for coordinating approaches to all foundations on behalf of Northwestern University. This allows the University to ensure that new approaches to foundations are strategic and initiated appropriately.

The Office of Foundation Relations works with Northwestern faculty who are planning to approach private foundations, providing research information on foundations and identifying those that might be interested in funding particular projects. They review proposals and letters of inquiry, provide editorial assistance, and help gather materials for submission. The office also works closely with the Office of Sponsored Research to coordinate grant proposals and process awards.

The Foundation Relations team conducts biannual clinics for faculty and administrators who wish to learn more about seeking funding from private foundations. Team members are also available to meet individually with faculty by appointment. Contact information, research request forms, and a list of upcoming Requests for Proposal can be found on the Office of Foundation Relations website.

RFPs and Other Funding Announcements from Corporations and Foundations

The Office of Foundation Relations periodically disseminates Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for foundations to chairs and others in areas relevant to the foundations. They also maintain a database of corporation and foundation RFPs that is searchable by subject area. See the Request for Proposal page for more information.

Back to top

Information Technology and Computing Support

Northwestern University Information Technology (NUIT) offers key services and resources to faculty to best advance the mission of the University. Technology services provided by NUIT to University entities include, but are not limited to: voice, data, video, and wireless networks and services; Internet; and academic and administrative systems. In addition, a number of schools and departments provide support for their specific constituencies in close collaboration with NUIT, which has oversight and coordinating responsibility for these systems and services.

Technological innovations and initiatives within the divisions and schools should be brought to NUIT early in their life for rapid consideration and assessment within University-wide plans. For a detailed list of Information Technologies policies and guidelines, please visit the University Policies website.

Visit the NUIT Web Site often to stay informed about academic and research services and resources available to Northwestern faculty. Get up-to-date NUIT news, read the NUIT Insider Blog and subscribe to the NUIT RSS news feed to receive instant notifications about system upgrades, new service offerings and more.

Academic Resources

The Academic & Research Technologies (A&RT) unit of NUIT is the principal point of contact for faculty interested in the University’s computing infrastructure and services. A&RT supports faculty in their primary roles as instructors and researchers and provides access to educational technologies and various multimedia resources for the larger Northwestern community. 

NUIT Advanced Media Production Studio (NUIT AMPS) is a professional production team within A&RT which is dedicated to the service and advancement of multimedia applications in teaching and research. They partner with NU colleagues to produce high-definition video productions and innovative Web-based outreach sites for research, pedagogical and administrative initiatives. 

There are a host of other learning and teaching services available to faculty. These services include a Blackboard-based Course Management System (CMS), 115 technology-rich Smart Classrooms across both NU campuses, a Student Response System (SES), commonly referred to as “classroom clickers”, and several computer classrooms that may be reserved for instructional purposes. For detailed information on these services and others, visit the NUIT resources page.

High Performance Research Resources

For specific information on all of the research support resources available to faculty, visit the NUIT Research Resources webpage

NUIT provides access to the world’s most advanced research networks for campus investigators. Northwestern’s HPC System, or Quest, is recognized among the most powerful supercomputers in the world. It includes data storage, data resources, and advanced instruments, all linked together by advanced software and high performance networks to improve research productivity and enable breakthroughs not otherwise possible.

The University’s central storage platform for research information, called Vault, provides alternative storage platforms for storing computational data. University researchers, faculty researchers, and post-doctoral researchers are able to use Vault to share research data in a collaborative environment, store large-scale computational research data and request additional storage for further data analysis.

NUIT participates in ongoing international, national and statewide networking initiatives such as StarLight, a proving ground for next-generation national and international optical networks optimized for high-performance applications. A list of global network research partners can be found on the NUIT website.  NUIT also provides MATLAB, Mathematica, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), SAS, SPSS, X-Windows, and a growing list of open-source software applications to NU researchers. View a list of available products on the NUIT Software webpage.

The University’s Data Centers, located on the Evanston and Chicago campuses, offer researchers a cost-effective, secure, and reliable solution to hosting and managing physical servers. The Social Sciences Computing Cluster (SSCC) provides an advanced computational capability, a rich suite of statistical software applications, and a centrally-managed data storage service customized for social sciences research activities.

Research Grant & Proposal Consultation

General consultation for determining the appropriate sources of external funding for research projects as well as assistance with grant applications is available on the Office for Research Funding Resources page. NUIT can also assist in providing information technology-related assistance with grant applications.

Conferencing Services

Northwestern offers solutions and support for desktop, room-based, and audio conferencing as well as webcasting. See the NUIT website for a complete list of conferencing services provided.

Technology-Related Events and Presentations

NUIT provides information on a variety of technology topics through several different workshops and event series. NUIT Tech Talks are biweekly interactive Webinars open to the entire University community. Learn about current and upcoming NUIT initiatives as experts discuss a range of technology topics, including new services and tools from NUIT, computer security, and more. 

Presented in conjunction with the University Library, the Scholarly Resources and Technologies Series is for faculty who want to take advantage of the teaching and research capabilities of digital media, course management system features, online archives, electronic databases and other emerging technologies. Find a list of upcoming and archived presentations on their website.

Listen to NUIT-to-Go-Podcasts which cover topics that focus on current and upcoming information technology services, initiatives and support in a convenient format.

Additional learning opportunities can be found on the NUIT Events, Presentations, and Training page. To further explore the many support and service options available to faculty, please visit NUIT’s website.

Back to top

III. University Services & Activities

Food Services on Campus

There are a number of locations on both campuses where you can get a quick snack or a whole meal. Daily menus and hours of operation for NU dining facilities on both campuses are located on the nuCuisine website or by calling 847-491-2020. 

Evanston Campus

The six larger Residential Dining Halls across campus offer all-you-can-eat meals featuring a variety of entree and made-to-order options as well as reliable cafeteria staples such as salad and dessert bars. Northwestern faculty and staff and their guests are also welcome to use the dining halls during any meal period by paying the following cash-entrance rates: $6.50 for breakfast, $8.50 for lunch and $10.50 for dinner. Cash and Munch Money are accepted, but credit cards are not.

Additional options, including pre-packaged, organic, vegetarian, vegan and kosher foods, are available at many retail locations. For locations, hours, and details on the food options available, visit the Retail section of the NU Cuisine web site

Faculty members and their spouses or partners from any school in the University may make reservations for lunch at the James L. Allen Center of the Kellogg School of Management located on the lakefront in Evanston. Priority for luncheon reservations is given to members of groups holding meetings at the Allen Center. Lunches are currently $20 per person and can be paid for by credit card. Reservations can be obtained by calling (847) 467-7024.

Also in the Technological Institute, the McCormick Faculty and Staff Dining Room serves hot buffet lunches Monday through Friday during fall, winter and spring quarters up until finals week. The Jerome B. Cohen Faculty Commons is located in the Tech Building, L482, 4th floor north, and is open from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm Monday-Friday. Reservations are accepted for parties of more than 4 persons with 24-hr prior notice via e-mail only at j‑ or by calling (847) 491-5550. See the McCormick Faculty and Staff Dining Room website for menus and additional information.

Unless otherwise noted, all locations accept cash, credit or Munch Money as forms of payment. Faculty and staff may use departmental chart strings to purchase meal vouchers for Cohen Commons and the Residential Dining Halls. The Departmental Meal Voucher request form is available on the Food Service website.

Chicago Campus

On the Chicago campus, snack cart cafes offering sandwiches, soups, beverages, and baked goods are located in the lobby of the Searle building. Other options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks and beverages can be found in the Retail section of the NU Cuisine web site.

In addition to these dining facilities, both the Evanston and Chicago campuses offer a variety of catering services ranging from coffee and bagels to five-course meals.

Back to top

University Services

University Services consists of a number of different service departments, including Travel Services, Motor Pool for vehicle rental, various shuttle bus routes, Computer Recycling, Mail Services, Purchasing Resource Services (PRS), WildCARD ID offices, Printing & Duplicating, Laboratory Supplies & Services, Equipment Maintenance Insurance Program (NUMAINT), Vending, Trademark Licensing, Internal Moving Services (Chicago campus only), Laundry Program and the Chicago Fitness & Recreation Program.

Travel Services

When you use Travel Services, you are urged to complete a Traveler Profile with one or more of the approved agencies to speed the booking process. The University has a special negotiated rate on some fare classifications with United Airlines providing for a discount on some United Airlines tickets booked through Northwestern's list of approved agencies and the lower-cost online booking tool called Compass. Transaction fees have also been negotiated with these agencies. NU-related business travel can be charged to a chartstring rather than your personal credit card.

Facilities Management

Facilities Management is responsible for campus planning, space management, the design, construction and renovation of University facilities, and for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of buildings, grounds, and utility systems. Requests for service can be called in to (847) 491-5201 for the Evanston campus or (312) 503-8000 for the Chicago campus or emailed to In addition, many schools have persons in the dean's offices with special responsibility for the school's facilities issues and for bringing these issues to the attention of Facilities Management. 

Back to top

Recycling and Sustainability

Northwestern strives toward green campus activities and practices and has an active recycling program. Northwestern recycles more than 1,800 tons annually, which represents 30 percent of the campus waste stream.  Recycling bins are provided by NU Recycling.  More information is available on the sustainNU website or by calling (847) 467-1374. 

Learn about Northwestern University’s first Strategic Plan for Sustainability and how you can Take Action in these initiatives.

For information about recycling services for your computer and electronic equipment, please see the University Services’ eCycling program.

Campus Fitness and Recreational Facilities

Evanston Campus

Several recreational facilities are available on the Evanston campus through the Department of Athletics & Recreation. Faculty may access facilities by showing their current Wildcard and paying the $15 daily fee or by purchasing a facility membership. Membership fees vary depending on options selected and can be paid through an automated payroll deduction. Please visit the Membership Registration page for details.

Membership provides access to the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion and the Dellora A. and Lester J. Norris Aquatics Center (SPAC). SPAC’s spacious facility is located on the shore of Lake Michigan and offers an Olympic-sized swimming pool, a 3-lane indoor walking/jogging track, six tennis courts, a cardiovascular and weight conditioning area, personal training fitness studios, free weight rooms, racquetball and international squash courts, multipurpose courts for basketball, aerobics, or volleyball, men's and women's locker rooms with showers and saunas and much more. There is also a private beach which is open daily from 10am to 6pm (weather permitting) beginning Memorial Day through Labor Day each year.

Two other gymnasium facilities are available: Patten Gymnasium, located at 2407 Sheridan and the Blomquist Recreation Center, located at 617 Foster. Northwestern also maintains a Sailing Center which rents sailboats and windsurfers and provides both sailing and windsurfing lessons between mid-May and early October. The Vandy Christie Tennis Center has outdoor courts available on a walk-up basis for faculty during the summer months.

In addition to the various facilities available for drop in use, faculty and their guests are invited to take advantage of a variety of fitness programs and instructional classes. While membership includes access to all cardio/strength group fitness classes, Pilates, yoga, and other mind/body classes are available at discounted rates. Personal training as well as small group training services are offered by our certified fitness staff. The aquatics program provides scuba lessons as well as private and group swimming lessons. Group tennis classes are available for all skill levels. Private instruction is available for tennis, racquetball and squash.

Chicago Campus

The Chicago campus fitness facilities are managed by University Services. Discounted membership is available at the River East Club. Fitness facilities are also available for Chicago based community member at Chicago Park District's Lake Shore Field house.

Back to top

Musical Activities

Each year, the Bienen School of Music presents more than 400 concerts and events on the Evanston campus. Many performances showcase the school's 16 faculty-supported ensembles, including orchestras, bands, a wind ensemble, opera, and several choral and jazz groups, in a wide range of repertoire.

Other events include solo recitals by faculty and students, master classes by world-renowned guest artists, and three professional series: the Segovia Classical Guitar Series, the Winter Chamber Music Festival, and a themed spring festival. Ticket prices range from $0 to $36. Many master classes, all solo student recitals, and some additional concerts are free of charge. Discounts are provided to school-aged children, full-time students, and Northwestern faculty and staff with a valid WildCARD. Tickets may be purchased online, in person at the Pick-Staiger box office, by phone or by mail. Visit the Pick-Staiger website for schedules and more information.

Northwestern Theatre Tickets

Tickets for Northwestern student performances are available online or through the Theatre box office. Discounts are provided for Northwestern faculty. Contact information, schedules and a description of Northwestern student theatre events is available on the Theatre and Interpretation Center website

Athletics Tickets

Faculty may purchase up to two 2012 season tickets for football at $213 per person. Men's basketball season tickets are also available at a discount of around 20 percent; only two season tickets may be purchased at the discounted rate. Discounts are available for all other ticketed sports for regular season events.

Wildcat football and basketball tickets can be purchased through the ticket office at 888-GOPURPLE or online at (Discover, American Express, MasterCard and Visa, are accepted).

Public football season tickets are $262 for individuals and $152 for end-zone season tickets. Tickets are also available on an individual game basis at $40-$70 per person, with end-zone seats available for $20-$50. There is no faculty/staff discount for single game purchases. During 2011-2012, men's basketball season tickets for individuals were $260-$385 or $22-$30 on an individual game basis; women's basketball season tickets for individuals were $49 or $7 per game.

Back to top

V. City Information

Area Schools

Information on enrolling children in local schools can be obtained by contacting the appropriate school district.  Here are the phone numbers and web addresses for several of the school districts in our area:

The Skokie area encompasses several school districts.  Callers to the Skokie number will be referred to the appropriate district office, which in turn will provide information for a specific school in the area.

Cultural Events

Information about cultural events in Chicago is available in a number of publications: the Chicago Reader, the Friday sections of the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times, Chicago MagazineTime Out Chicago, and Chicago Metromix. Information about Evanston is available in the same publications, in the weekly Evanston Review, and from the Evanston Convention and Visitors Bureau at Evanston Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Public Transportation

A variety of public transportation resources are available close to each campus, connecting those campuses to most parts of Chicago, Evanston, and beyond. The Chicago metro area is served by three public transportation systems: the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Metra, and the Pace suburban bus system. Routes, schedules and maps are available at their web sites.

The central bus depot in Evanston is just north of Davis Street on Benson Street. The “El”, Chicago’s local train system, runs from Evanston into the city and from there to many neighborhoods. In Evanston the nearest el station to south campus is Davis Street; for mid campus is Foster Street; and for north campus is Noyes Street. The Chicago-State CTA stop is closest to the Chicago campus.

Back to top

Driver’s License and License Plates

Residents of Illinois are required to obtain Illinois auto license tags within 30 days of moving to the State and an Illinois driver’s license within 90 days. License plates as well as an Illinois driver’s license or Illinois state identification card can be obtained at the Secretary of State’s Driver Services Facilities. Offices of the Illinois Driver Facilities nearest to the Evanston campus are located at 8261 Golf Road, Niles and 5401 North Elston Avenue, Chicago. The office closest to the Chicago campus is in the State of Illinois Building, 100 West Randolph Street. All offices can be reached at (312) 793-1010. These offices are closed various days of the week, so it is well advised to check on hours before embarking on a visit. Depending upon the applicant’s prior record of traffic violations, a written and/or road test may be required. Auto license plates can also be obtained (for an additional service charge) at Currency Exchanges throughout the area.

Complete information is available on the web site of the Secretary of State of Illinois. Within this site, a page is devoted to New Residents of Illinois.

Vehicle Registration

In nearly all area communities, including the cities of Chicago and Evanston, vehicles must be registered in the city where the car is garaged and must display that city’s vehicle sticker. 

Evanston residents may purchase their city vehicle stickers from the Evanston Civic Center located at 2200 Ridge Avenue or on the City of Evanston website.

Chicago residents may purchase their vehicle stickers in person at the Office of the City Clerk, City Hall, 121 North LaSalle Street, Room 107 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Chicago city stickers can also be obtained using a form available on the Chicago City Clerk website. Chicago stickers are also available, for an additional service charge, from almost any currency exchange in the city.

Skokie residents may purchase stickers from the Village of Skokie located at 5127 Oakton Street.