The Assessment/Accreditation Council advises on and facilitates matters related to 1) student learning outcomes assessment and 2) the University’s reaffirmation of accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission.
In 2008, the Council was charged by Provost Dan Linzer to look more comprehensively at assessment, in follow up to the University’s 2004-05 accreditation review. The Council has been working to facilitate a campus-wide effort focusing on the assessment of student learning outcomes at both the undergraduate and graduate curricular and the co-curricular levels. As part of these efforts, the Council has developed a framework for the assessment of student learning outcomes and established an annual Learning, Teaching and Assessment Forum. Following Northwestern’s 2014-15 accreditation review, the Council established a Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Subcommittee in September 2015. The subcommittee’s charge is to work across schools and units to identify strategies that encourage and support assessment at the course, program, and school level. The subcommittee is comprised of members of the Assessment/Accreditation Council as well as additional faculty members and staff involved in assessment activities.
Additional information about the Council’s efforts and learning assessment at Northwestern can be found on the Assessment of Student Learning page.
In addition, the Council serves as an advising body for the University’s reaffirmation of accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission. Northwestern was recently reaffirmed for accreditation in July 2015 and will undergo its next comprehensive evaluation for reaccreditation in 2024-25. More information about Northwestern’s accreditation process can be found on the University Accreditation page.
- Jake Julia, Committee Chair and Associate Provost of Academic Initiatives and Associate Vice President, Office of Change Management
- Beth Bennett, Assistant Professor, Clinical, Journalism, Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications
- Ron Braeutigam, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Harvey Kapnick Professor of Business Institutions, Economics, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Wes Burghardt, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Engineering and Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering, McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Susanna Calkins, Co-Interim Center Director and Director, Faculty Programs, Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching
- Huey Copeland, Associate Dean, Academic Affairs, Graduate School Administration
- Debbie Crimmins, Associate Director of Institutional Research, Office of Administration and Planning
- Sally Ewing, Associate Dean for Advising and Student Affairs; Lecturer, School of Communication
- Mary Finn, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Linda Garton, Assistant Dean for Admissions & Student Affairs, Bienen School of Music
- Bill Hayward, Senior Director, Institutional Research, Office of Administration and Planning
- Larry Hedges, Board of Trustees Professor of Statistics and Social Policy, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Peter Kaye, Assistant Dean for Undergraduate and Credit Programs, School of Professional Studies
- Joan Linsenmeier, Assistant Dean (Academic), Administration, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Michele M McDonough, Lecturer, Molecular Biosciences, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Lisa Metzger-Mugg, Executive Director, Administrative Initiatives, Office of the Executive Vice President
- Susan Olson, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, School of Education and Social Policy
- Alison Lanser Phillips, Senior Assistant Registrar, University Registrar
- Jennifer Puchtel, Manager Accreditation Process, Office of the Provost
- Marianne Ryan, Associate University Librarian, Library Administration
- Babette Seligmann Sanders, Associate Professor, Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences, Feinberg School of Medicine
- Robyn Schuster, Director, Dean's Office, Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications
- Patricia Telles-Irvin, Vice President for Student Affairs
- D. Charles Whitney, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, NU-Qatar