The City of Evanston and Northwestern University will once again be using the trash removal request process for students and residents moving into and out of the neighborhood this Fall to avoid cluttering alleys and walkways with unwanted items or moving materials. The first 200 residents (students or other residents) of the area next to campus who call the city to have large trash items removed between the dates of September 6-23 will receive that service at no charge.
You are eligible for this service if you live in the following area - Ridge from Emerson north to Colfax, Colfax east to Orrington, Orrington south to Emerson, Emerson west to Ridge.
If you have moved into an apartment that still has unwanted items left by the previous tenants, please don't just throw things in the alleys and sidewalks. Please follow the procedures, and be considerate of all your new neighbors - both student and non-student.
Process for Requesting Pick-Ups
- Call the City of Evanston at 3-1-1 between the hours of 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM any day of the week.
- The city will verify that your address is in the specified area. Give the day and date on which your trash will be ready to be removed.
- Put the items to be picked up, on the curb next to the street in front of your residence the night before your requested pick-up date.
- All routine garbage should be handled in the normal manner, using the approved containers provided by the resident or landlord.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Absolutely NO YARD WASTE, construction debris or hazardous waste of any kind will be removed in these pick-ups.
This service is being jointly sponsored by the City of Evanston and Northwestern University!