Moving into a new property can be exciting. Make sure to keep the following points in mind while getting settled into your new place.
- Update Northwestern University CAESAR
It is essential you update your contact information in CAESAR. Northwestern uses this information in the case of an emergency to contact you, as well as important other functions. Be sure to update:
- Your local address
- Phone numbers
- Protect Your Property
Take Photos and download the Property Checklist-(Word doc) - Making notes on a Property Checklist and having photos of the condition of a residence before you move in can be essential during disputes over the return of a security deposit.
- Call To Establish Utility Accounts
Are electricity and other utilities covered as part of your rent? If not, make sure you start accounts with the providers for any utilities you pay for. If you forget to do this your utilities can be shut off without notice.
- Dispose of Large Items Properly
Former residents of your unit may have left undesired large items such as couches. If you don't plan to sell or keep the items, you need to call the City of Evanston at 311 (or 847.448.4311 if calling from a number outside the city) or contact them via the Evanston City website to have these items disposed of. The City normally charges a small fee.
- Meet Your Neighbors - Knowing your neighbors is important for more than just social reasons. Being in touch with the residents of the houses around you can help if they have an issue with noise or another neighborhood concern. You are now part of the Evanston/Chicago-metro community and knowing your surroundings and neighbors assists in reporting suspicious behaviors.
- New Residents, City of Chicago Website - Sign-up for emergency notifications. Know your Ward and sign-up for the Ward's newsletter.
- New Residents, City of Evanston Website - Sign-up for emergency notifications. Know your Ward and sign-up for the Ward's newsletter.
- Roommate Agreement Checklist - Here some topics to discuss with roommates to help make your household relations go smoothly.
- Know Your Garbage Collection Day - Make sure your garbage doesn't accumulate! Check the Evanston City website to find what day they will pick up your garbage.
- Home Furnishings and Maintenance (NU Wildcard Advantage vendors) - Visit Northwestern University's Wildcard Advantage webpage for vendor discounts.