Application for Membership
NUSAC Mission Statement
The Northwestern University Staff Advisory Council (NUSAC) serves as an advisory voice and change-agent for Northwestern staff in matters relating to community development, professional opportunities and workplace concerns. This is accomplished through active engagement with staff, the University President, the Office of Human Resources and/or various senior administrators.
NUSAC MembershipNUSAC consists of 25 members selected from a diverse pool of exempt and non-exempt staff from various schools and areas on the Evanston and Chicago campuses.
- Applicants must be a regular full- or part-time staff member with at least two years of continuous service at the university.
- Supervisor approval. Applicants and members must have an agreement with their supervisors that some of their work time will be spent attending NUSAC meetings, participating in NUSAC-related events, and working on projects on behalf of NUSAC.
- Commit to serving a three-year membership term.
- Be willing to work as part of a team.
- Be available to attend monthly General Council meetings (alternating between the Chicago and Evanston campuses; approximately 2.5 hours/month, plus travel time to meetings).
- Be available to attend additional monthly meetings for one of four standing committees (Benefits, Human Resources, Outreach, and Communications; (approximately 2 hours/month, plus travel time).
- All Council members are expected to attend (whenever possible) the NUSAC brown bag events on their home campus (approximately 2 hours/quarter).
- Other work time may be needed to assist with research, publications, articles, communications, or attend other related meetings.
- Other meetings or conference calls may arise during the year as needed (approximately 2 hours/month).
Employees interested in becoming members of NUSAC must complete the application form. Applications are reviewed by current Council members. Interviews of finalists will take place on May 19, 2014 after which Council recommendations are forwarded to the University President.
More about NUSAC:
Chartered by Northwestern University's President in 1973, the Northwestern University Staff Advisory Council (NUSAC) was formed to participate, assist, and advise in decision-making processes affecting the staff's relationship with the larger University community.
Core purposes in our constitution:
- Conveying staff concerns and feedback to the University administration.
- Suggesting improvements or changes on topics such as University policies and procedures, benefits, and compensation.
- Enhancing the relationship between the University staff and the administration.
- Partnering with the University administration to make Northwestern’s educational community a more efficient, fulfilling, and attractive work environment.
Recent Participation in University Initiatives:
- Established NU Cares (an employee-to-employee assistance fund) in 2010
- Created “Coffee with the President” as an opportunity for staff to provide feedback to the University President
- Provided input for a new quarterly format for Service Excellence Recognition Luncheon
- Provided feedback on enhancements to Employee of the Year Awards and participated in selection committee
- Planned the Conversations with the President forums
- Provided feedback on the University health plan and family choice restructuring
- Provided feedback on staff tuition benefits, resulting in creation of portable tuition benefit for staff members
- Participated in University Committee on Evanston Campus Planning
- Provided feedback on updates to University policies and procedures
In additional to the Executive Committee, NUSAC has four standing committees, which are:
The Benefits Committee provides input to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources, the Director of Benefits and the Director of the Office of Work/Life Resources on the benefits plans offered by the University. The committee advocates for staff on proposed benefits changes, offers suggestions on these changes, and brings issues of concern regarding benefits policies and procedures to the attention of the administration.
The Communications Committee is responsible for NUSAC publicity and branding. The Committee keeps University staff, faculty, and administration aware of our activities by publishing the quarterly NUSAC Newsletter, posting frequent tips for the University community to the Northwestern University Staff Facebook and LinkedIn groups and publicizing all NUSAC events (e.g., brown bags, Conversations with the President). This committee also administers 6 Coffee with the President events and maintains the NUSAC website.
Human Resources Committee
The Human Resources Committee works directly with the Associate Vice President for Human Resources to provide staff input on proposed policy and procedure changes, and stays informed about upcoming HR issues that may affect staff.
The Outreach Committee networks with the entire University community (staff, faculty, students) and surrounding community organizations on various events to promote unity and create a positive and socially engaged work environment.
NUSAC Membership Application
The application period for the NUSAC 2014-2015 council opens on March 3. Please fill out the online application and submit by March 31, 2014. After the application period closes, we will contact all applicants regarding the interview schedule, which is set for May 19, 2014 on the Evanston Campus.
If you have any questions about the process, please email email@example.com, and one of the officers will respond.