If you have completed your junior year in high school by June 2013, and would like to apply to the Theatre Arts Division, you must:
• rank academically near the top 30 percent of your high school class and submit a current transcript of high school credits
• submit results of the Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT), when available
• meet a high standard of character, dependability, and intelligence
• give evidence of special experience and/or interest in the theatre arts
The Theatre Arts Division is a competitive program, and application decisions are based on ability and merit. Enrollment is limited.
Students who will not be seniors during the 2013-14 school year are not eligible.
FEES: The basic fee for Theatre Arts and Design/Technical, and The Musical Theatre program includes tuition, room, board, health service (not insurance), field trips, and group events. Any additional expenses are at your discretion.
2013 Five Week Cost - 5100
2013 Seven Week Cost - 7200
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to be accepted into the Theatre Division, you must complete the 5 requirements (6 for Musical Theatre) listed below.
1. Click Here to Apply Online and for online payment of application fee
2. Please write a paragraph (200 words max) on each of the following two topics:
(a) Why is theatre important to the world?
(b) Why is theatre important, specifically, to you?
3. List all experience in theatre. i.e. Theatrical resume. Include: (a) name of each production, (b) role or crew assignment, (c) date of production (month and year), and (d) name of producing organization (e.g. high school, community theatre, college).
4. Ask your guidance counselor to send us the following items: (or you can have them give you the official copy to send to us)
A transcript of your high school record (OFFICIAL COPY)
School profile sheet
Your PSAT, SAT, and/or ACT scores or other standardized test scores - if available (these can be sent directly from the student as well)
5. Ask your drama teacher or coach to send us a letter of recommendation that gives us an estimate of your talents, experience or abilities in theatre and/or drama. The letter also should address your personal characteristics, such as initiative, reliability, leadership, and ability to work with others. Letters MUST be written on school letterhead.
6. *For Musical Theatre Applicants Only* : If, and only if, you are applying to the Musical Theatre Extension, you must, in addition to the regular requirements, submit an audition recording (DVD or online Youtube/Vimeo link) with your application. Your audition recording should consist of one song preceded by your name, the name of the song, and the musical from which it comes. The song MUST be from a musical and performed for the video. Do not use an excerpt from a production in which you have performed. Select a song that best shows your voice and range. No pop songs. No a cappella.
Each applicant must:
Carefully read the 5 (6 for Musical Theatre) requirements of the Theatre Division listed above
Complete and submit the on-line application (including application fee)
Send items 2 through 5 (6 for Musical Theatre) (together or separately) to:
National High School Institute
617 Noyes Street
Evanston, IL 60208-4165