Northwestern Debate Institute is open to accomplished high school debate students who have completed their freshman, sophomore, or junior year of high school by July 2013, with emphasis on rising seniors.
The Program is competitive, and application decisions are based on ability and merit.
If you would like to apply to the Northwestern Debate Institute Scholars you must:
• rank academically in or near the top 33 percent of your high school class and submit a current transcript of high school credits
• submit results of the Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT), when available
• meet a high standard of character, dependability, and intelligence
• give evidence of experience, special ability, and interest
• complete by July 1, 2013, freshman, sophomore or junior year of high school
Deadlines - SPECIFIC DATES T.B.A.
Early Admission: April 2013. If your application, forensic record, recommendation and transcript are received by April 2013, you will be notified no later than May 2013.
Regular Admission: May 2013. If your application, forensic record, recommendation and transcript are received by May 2013, you will be notified no later than June 2013.
Late Admission: Late applications will be accepted with a $75 application fee and only if space is available.
It is the applicants’ responsibility to make sure that ALL necessary application materials have been received in the NHSI office by the deadline dates.
If you are not sure that your application is complete, please call (800) 662-NHSI or e-mail us, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Four Week Program Cost - 4750
2013 Six Week Program Cost - 6099
2013 One Week Program Cost - 1050
This includes tuition, room, board, field trips, and group events. Any additional expenses are at your discretion. A $35 non-refundable application fee must accompany each application. If you are unable to pay the application fee, call or write us to request a fee waiver. Late applications will be accepted with a $50 application fee.
OPTIONAL out-of-pocket expenses
$25-50 Airport transportation
$20-50 Supplies (pads, folders, files, etc.)
$20-40 Shipping & mailing
$100-200 Spending money (soda, pizza, etc.)
$5-20 Athletic facilities .
How To Apply
In order to be accepted into the Northwestern Debate Institute, you must complete the 4 requirements listed below.
1.Click Here to apply online and for online payment of application fee.
2. On a sheet of paper, list all debate contests in which you have participated. Include for each tournament: (a) the division you entered, (b) the dates of the tournament, and (c) the results you achieved. Also list any workshops in debate.
3. Ask your debate coach for a letter of recommendation including the level of debate and level of research class in which you should be placed (advanced, intermediate or novice). List any request for lab instructor(s). Requests will only be considered in writing from the debate coach.
4. Ask your guidance counselor to send us the following items: (or you can have them give you the official copy to send to us)
- A transcript of your high school record (OFFICIAL COPY)
- School profile sheet
- Your PSAT, SAT, and/or ACT scores or other standardized test scores - if available (these can be sent directly from the student as well).
Each applicant must:
- Carefully read the 4 requirements of the Northwestern Debate Institute listed above
- Complete and submit the on-line application (including application fee)
- Send items 2 through 4 (together or separately) to:
Northwestern Debate Institute
National High School Institute
617 Noyes Street
Evanston, IL 60208-4165