Northwestern Unveils Leaders and Campaign Steering Committee
To promote fundraising campaign message and energize friends, donors, alumni to helpMarch 14, 2014 | by Storer H. Rowley
EVANSTON, Ill. --- Northwestern University announced on Friday (March 14) its senior leadership team and a Comprehensive Campaign Steering Committee of volunteers to take the lead in implementing the University’s new $3.75 billion fundraising Campaign.
The leaders and the committee members will help carry the message of the Campaign, energize alumni and friends, and serve as key ambassadors for We Will. The Campaign for Northwestern.
The Campaign Steering Committee has been helping the University prepare for the March 14 announcement of the campaign.
That effort has been led by the following, who are serving as the inaugural Campaign co-chairs:
- Chris Combe, ’70, and Courtney Combe, ’99 P, ’06 P, ’09 P. Chris Combe is chairman and chief executive officer, Combe Incorporated, and a national trustee, from Connecticut.
- Adam Karr, ’93, Campaign co-chair, Participation; managing director, Orbis Investment Management, and an alumni trustee from California.
Campaign co-chairs for later years in the Campaign include:
- Neil Bluhm, ’62 JD, president and managing principal, JMB Realty Corporation and a life trustee on the Northwestern University Board of Trustees, from Illinois.
- Lanny Martin, ’68, ’73 JD, and Sharon Martin, ’02 P, ’08 P. Lanny Martin is founding and managing director, Platte River Equity, and a charter trustee. They are from Colorado.
- Patrick Ryan, ’59, ’09 H, and Shirley Welsh Ryan, ’61, Campaign co-chairs, Major Gifts; Patrick Ryan is chairman and chief executive officer, Ryan Specialty Group, and a life trustee. Shirley Welsh Ryan is chair of Pathways.org. They are from Illinois.
The Comprehensive Campaign Steering Committee members include:
- Peter J. Barris, '73, managing general partner, New Enterprise Associates, and a charter trustee, Virginia.
- Nick Chabraja, '64, '67 JD, life trustee, Illinois.
- Lester Crown, '46, chairman, Henry Crown and Company, and a life trustee, Illinois.
- Bon French, '75, '76 MBA, '07 P, chief executive officer, Adams Street Partners, LLC, and a charter trustee, Illinois.
- Chris Galvin, '73, '77 MMGT, '11 P, chairman, Harrison Street Capital LLC, and a charter trustee, Illinois.
- Ellen Philips Katz, '70, ex-officio, charter trustee, New York.
- Bill Osborn, '69, '73 MBA, ex-officio, retired chairman and chief executive officer, Northern Trust Corporation, and chair, Northwestern University Board of Trustees, Illinois.
- David A. Sachs, '81, '15 P, co-founder and senior partner, Ares Management LLC, and a national trustee, California.
- Michael J. Sacks, '88 MMGT, '88 JD, chief executive office, Grosvenor Capital Management, L.P., and a national trustee, Illinois.
- Morton Schapiro, ex-officio, president, Northwestern University, Illinois
- Jeff Ubben, '87 MMGT, '11 P, founding partner, ValueAct Capital, and a charter trustee, California.
- Steve Wilson, '70, '74 MBA, non-executive chairman, retired president and chief executive officer, CF Industries Holdings, Inc., and a national trustee, Illinois.